Poor Youtube performance?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by BaldyUK, Aug 16, 2014.

1. BaldyUK macrumors regular

Is anyone else having issues of poor Youtube performance since updating to Yosemite?

If I try and skip to a different part of a video it buffers for a long time, if it actually skips at all.

It was working fine with Mavericks. I know it's a beta etc but wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if there's a solution.

Thanks

2. leman macrumors 604

Yosemite's Safari uses the HTML5 player per default, which means better battery life compared with the flash version. However, there do seem to be some occasional glitches when changing playback. I have no idea whether its a bug in Safari or a problem with the player itself. You should submit a bug report.

3. BaldyUK thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, thanks that was the problem. Safari 8 defaults to the HTML5 player in Youtube, changed the user agent back to 7.1 and using the flash player again and it's working perfectly again.

4. huggs22222 macrumors newbie

5. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Flash really just needs to been shown the door by HTML 5. On it's way out, let h.265 in ;)

6. huggs22222 macrumors newbie

Completely agree. I,m loving HTML 5 pic and the audio is amazing.H.265 is the way to go though with high quality and small file size.

7. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

The problems I have with Flash is that it is just so un-optimised. Want to get your fans as loud as possible on your new Mac Pro, don't edit 4K video or play a game, watch a Youtube video in Flash instead! :p I hate that it only survives just because it has the Adobe name.