Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I've tried to search for this problem but haven't found any solutions. I just picked up an iphone and I'm trying to set-up my POP email account. I've set everything up correctly (I think) but I cannot receive email?? I can send email no problem but receiving is a different story.

Is there something I could be missing??

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I didn't see the option within itunes to automatically sync the email with another account - I was trying to manually fill everything out myself. So last night I synced the phone to my laptop email. About 1200 emails were imported. I had read that you need to manually delete each email at a time so I spent about 2-3 hours going through the old emails and deleting them.

Everything seemed fine until this morning. I can send email no problem but I cannot receive email (other than the emails that were imported when I synced)?? I have my account setup in a way that all emails stay on the server so it should download to both my laptop and iphone - correct?? Even when I send an email from my phone to my phone/laptop the email shows up on the laptop but the email doesn't come in on the phone??

C'mon guys can someone help me out?? I'm totally lost.

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I still cannot figure this out. No problem sending email but receiving is another story. I use osx and mail. In preferences under mail - accounts - advanced - REMOVE COPY FROM SERVER AFTER RETRIEVING A MESSAGE - is not checked.

On my iphone - under settings - mail - POP account - advanced - delete from server is set to never!!

What else could it be?? I really want to get this going??? I have autocheck set to manual on the iphone - is that what everyone else is using??

Someone, anyone, help a guy out!!

willeekinz

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
I still cannot figure this out.

I had this POP problem too, sending fine but not receiving...I finally found this bug and it might apply to you...

In your POP account settings, go into it and check what the authentication settings (push the advanced button on the account's settings in settings) set it to whatever it needs to be on your end (on my end it is 'Password')...then go into the actual mail program and try receiving something...then I want you to go back into the mail account's settings again and check the authentication again - has it changed from what you set it as?

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I will try this when I get home as I don't have my laptop on me??

If it does change what should I do??

What did you do to get it working??

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I had this POP problem too, sending fine but not receiving...I finally found this bug and it might apply to you...

In your POP account settings, go into it and check what the authentication settings (push the advanced button on the account's settings in settings) set it to whatever it needs to be on your end (on my end it is 'Password')...then go into the actual mail program and try receiving something...then I want you to go back into the mail account's settings again and check the authentication again - has it changed from what you set it as?

Were you talking about doing this on the phone or on my laptop?? On the phone the settings stay the same but still no mail.

WTF????????????

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I need some serious help. I've tried everything I know how to do and still I cannot seem to receive email other than the emails that came in with the sync.

If the mail preferences where it asks "show" recent messages and you have the choice of 25, 50, 75, 100 and 200. If I select 50 for example and I go into my inbox should it only show 50 messages?? Right now I have it set to 50 but I have 59 messages showing?? Should I maybe start from scratch and re-sync the email??

Can some help me out??

Resevdog

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
having same problem

I have two email accounts set up. My "push" yahoo account works great. Not 100%, but I'm often pleasantly surprised at the speed. I'll delete an email on my computer and it will be reflected almost immediately on my iphone. Very cool.

However, on my work pop account I setup, the iphone says its a valid account. But when I go to connect to get emails, it acts like it's getting them, but none list even though I know there are emails to read, even new unread ones. The same settings used to work on my Treo 650 (the iphone blows it away, btw) so I'm not sure why they aren't anymore. Tried flipping authentication settings but it always switches back to NTLM. SSL is off as it should be. The server is correct. My username and password are correct. Just don't know what else to do...

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Man, finally someone with a response. I'm pretty much getting the same thing. Can you send email with the POP account?? I can send but I cannot receive. I'm pretty sure all my settings are correct - I don't know what else to do.

Anyone??

onelegtwoshoes

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
Help!

So my iphone has worked flawlessly until the update. I could send recieve all day long. Know after doing the security update I cant send. Nothing has changed in my email settings, just says it cant connect to the outgoing server. All of the settings are correct.... Need help.

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I live in canada so I can't really get support from apple/att, etc.. Can one of you try to call them and see if they can help??

At least now I know there are a few people having the same problem.

Sending is not an issue for me - just receiving!!

Has anyone tried converting there POP account to IMAP with any success??

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I'm not using a GMAIL account so this doesn't really apply to me unfortunately!!

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I'm on osx mail using bell sympatico.

any other suggestions??? this option doesn't seem to be found within my mail program??

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i got confused. you posted in the iphone forums, so i thought you were having trouble with mail on your iphone. :confused:

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I am having trouble with mail on my phone - sorry doing to many things at once.

Mail on the phone with a bell sympatico POP account.

kydee6039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Fixed the problem - finally!!

I ended up completely deleting th account off my phone and rather than syncing the new account I just input the POP settings manually. Now I can send and receive email no problem.

Strange but it worked.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Fixed the problem - finally!!

I ended up completely deleting th account off my phone and rather than syncing the new account I just input the POP settings manually. Now I can send and receive email no problem.

Strange but it worked.

ah. glad to see you got it to work. i had to do the same with my yahoo mail account. my yahoo mail works off pop and not imap, and the computer tried to sync it as imap, so i couldn't access mail of any kind. enjoy your phone.

gmuzik

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Can't Receive Mail FIX

Mac suddenly stopped getting mail. Connection doctor showed all was fine. No error messages. When I clicked to get mail, it would spin a few seconds and stop. Sending worked fine. Downloaded another email application (Thunderbird)....same problem, but Thunderbird did tell me I was downloading 1 of 199 messages (from Verizon). I went into my verizon account and looked at message 199. It showed a very large file, but no reason for this. I deleted the message from the system, went back to Mac mail and suddenly everything started working fine again. The problem seemed to be some strange corruption that would not let me download that one message and kept it from going to the rest....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.