POP email doesn't work

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by frikkyco, Jan 3, 2008.

1. frikkyco macrumors member

I've gotten the email app and prep file from the repo.us source. I've set up my account, and Adelphia POP account, and it acts like it wants to work, it says it's getting email or sending email. But after a minute or so it says it can't connect and to check settings. All settings match what I have on my computer. Any suggestions? I heard something about setting permissions on the terminal, but have no idea what this means. Does this matter? IF so, how do I do it? THanks!

2. Bitter macrumors member

From what I know, and have experienced, some mail clients dont work on the iPod touch like Yahoo...although people keep trying to find ways to get it to work. Make sure you have the right server ports and incoming/outgoing addresses for the server. This can be a pain sometimes, I know it was for me, and still is.

Bitter.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Probably not what you want to hear, nor is it probably the best solution, but you can create a free gmail account, set it to check your existing POP mail account, connect to Gmail via IMAP on the touch, and configure your touch mail client (and Gmails webclient) to use your current email as your reply-to address.

That will work pretty well, but it's a lot of hurdles to jump through. Plus, you don't really want to use POP to check your mail on your handheld - IMAP is a much better method to access email from multiple clients.

Good luck!

4. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

Well, for some reason, after trying countless times, my Touch finally has accessed my Adelphia POP account. No idea why, but I won't complain. However, I did set up a GMail account and go figure, the Touch says it's not set up correctly. Yet another hurdle I suppose. As long as I get my "normal" email, that's cool. Hey! What should I set so that I can see the same emails on both teh Touch and on my computer? I don't want to open it in one place and not have access to it on the other. That wouldn't be helpful. Any suggestions? THnaks!

5. onalena macrumors newbie

Make sure you have the right server ports and incoming/outgoing addresses for the server. This can be a pain sometimes, I know it was for me, and still is.

Thank you for this - it gave me hope to get there in the end - and finally I did!