POP email on multiple devices not showing up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by autumnphyre, Jul 10, 2013.

1. autumnphyre macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I'm really hoping some one can help. Not sure where to post this so please move if its not in the right place.

I have a free account on www.host-ed.me and set up an email on there.
    I use sparrow to look at all my emails and managed to get this extra email account from host-ed up to show up fine on there.

I have recently upgraded to a desktop and tried to connect to this host-ed email through Sparrow again. The account connects but no emails show up. Thinking this was odd, I tried adding the account to the email accounts on my phone (an Android) and the same thing happens. It connects to the account but no emails show up. No sent or received. But they still show up on the original laptop.

From what I gather it's a POP email and I found this:
    "Summary
    When using a POP email account with multiple devices, email messages may only appear on the first device that receives them. This occurs when an email client is configured to automatically remove email from the server once an email client has received it. You can configure your email client (or clients) either to keep a copy of the email on the server, remove it after a certain number of days have passed, or keep it until you move it from your Inbox."

However I can find no settings on either Sparrow, my android or on www.host-ed.me to keep a copy of the email on the server.

Can any please help me with this? I'm am thinking of setting this email up as a business email and if it's misbehaving already it will look very bad!

Many thanks in advance!

----------

alternatively can anyone suggest a way to transfer the email name over to another client because I just tried to reply to two emails and the second one came back

"Mail Delivery System ........ Domain has exceeded the max emails per hour (1/1 (100%)) allowed. Message will be reattempted later"

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

In this day and age, a POP email account is just about unmanageable. You should change or upgrade your account to IMAP at that site, or find an alternative place to host your email. Depends on features offered, I guess.

Google Apps used to have a free version but no more. Email is IMAP by default there, calendars are CalDav, and contacts are CardDav. You can sync your Google Apps via Exchange (ActiveSync) on iOS devices.

If you like to use Outlook (Mac or Windows) I'd recommend a hosted Exchange service. The cheapest is Office 365 ($4/month per account).

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

POP is horrible, IMO. You'd be better off switching to an account that uses IMAP, like gmail or iCloud.

4. autumnphyre thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys.

I've deleted the email and tried to set it up on GoDaddy where the domain name is hosted as I get a free email account. Now run into problems with the MX validation. I want to cry!

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Godaddy IMAP doesn't work quite right. I had a paid IMAP account with them for over a year and I got so annoyed with constant "unable to authenticate" popups on all my Macs and iThings.

I switched to their "free with domain" email, which is pop based but nothing on their web pages tells you this until you run into problems. I don't use their pop based email to check email. I have it forwarded to gmail which properly supports IMAP.

If you have Godaddy IMAP, chances are you have a trial of their $6 a month IMAP service which will expire on you when you least expect it and your credit card will start getting hit for $6 a month without any warning from Godaddy. Furthermore, when you least expect it you will get "unable to log in" errors when checking email because Godaddy's IMAP implementation is just plain crap (in my experience).

Here is a site with reviews on free email providers. It's a bit out of date as I believe MS no longer offers hotmail.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

r0k's mentioned Hotmail...it's now called Outlook.com and they do offer free domain email hosting. However, they don't support IMAP. You can access it via the dreaded POP method on most email clients. iOS devices can access via ActiveSync, which is nice. Windows users can access via "Windows Live Mail" and DeltaSync, which is as good as IMAP I'm thinking. I also think Outlook 2013 for Windows can access it via ActiveSync. There's no decent client for Mac, however...only the web access.

Since that's free you could try it out if you can stand the web-access-only aspect when using a Mac.

I've been using Google Apps for years but I've just transitioned one domain with two accounts to Office 365. We have Windows computers and for peace of mind had to switch.

7. autumnphyre thread starter macrumors newbie

good lord. It all sounds a bit of a mess! Thanks for continuing to input on this everyone.

Im contemplating either paying for cheap hosting from Godaddy so I can have some control over the DNS that Host-ed doesnt offer. OR transfer everything over to A Small Orange. Any thoughts on those?

I just want to be able to access my emails via Sparrow on my Mac when at home and my macbook pro when in meetings and then on the email client on my Android. (feels like Im asking a lot but there must be someway to do it!)

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Honestly, I think we've laid it out pretty well. If you want to use Sparrow, then you're tallking IMAP as Sparrow doesn't support Exchange. Any IMAP host will work with everything you've mentioned.