POP Email using iPhone/Mac Mail/Sky email (aka gmail)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBX, Jul 29, 2008.

1. CBX macrumors regular

Ive set up my iPhone to download email via pop. Its set no to delete emails from server.

My mac mail also downloads via pop.

Which ever app (phone or imac) gets the mail first stops the other from downloading it.

The downloaded email is still on the server showing as unread and available for download.

Anyone help out - dont really want to move to imap.

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

why?

anyway, it sounds as if gmail may be set up wrong, make sure in pop settings its all set correctly.

3. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

Ive checked the server settings and its set to leave copy on server. The only other option (from memory) was to archive or delete server copy

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

try deleting the account on the iphone and in mail, then disable pop on gmail

re-enable pop for all mail, and set up the account in mail.app

then use itunes and sync across your mail settings

5. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that - still the same.

Really can understand why the first to access the email can download but the second one cant when I can see the mail showing as unread on the web client.

6. elbirth macrumors 65816

what is your purpose in not wanting to use IMAP. it'll make checking email on multiple devices a thousand times more pain-free

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

why? it's easy

8. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

I cant give you a good reason just that I prefer POP.

I tried IMAP when I got the phone - also set it up on IMac.

I just didnt like it going off to resync every time I clicked a folder etc. Also didnt want to have a set of (imap) folders and then another set of folders for off line access.

I can see all the advantages but just.. dont like it and for some reason prefer the std pop setup.

9. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers,

Looks like I need to user 'recent' mode.

I will take a look at this and give it a try. Im not sure if I should use recent mode on both pop clients or just one (and if so which one) - i guess it will be on the mac mail client.

If this doesnt work out I will probably go IMAP on the phone and POP on the mac mail...

10. elbirth macrumors 65816

unless you're frequently in an area where you have both no cell service and no wifi, then I really don't see the purpose of even needing offline access. I could see it on a laptop if you're regularly not near a wifi hotspot, but then again, if you need access to email that badly, you should be making it a point to have internet access

sorry to divert the thread a bit, but I really don't see how POP is doing you any benefit unless you're so impatient that you can't wait a few seconds to let it load new items in a folder