POP or IMAP?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrCheeto, Jan 15, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I've about had it with having email on 2 devices.

I use Gmail and I have my laptop and my iPhone. I'd like to receive a copy of the email on BOTH devices every time I receive one and then DELETE the email FROM THE SERVER when I delete a message.

I'm tired of going 2 weeks without touching my iPhone and then the next time I pick it up I have 50 messages, all of which I have read and deleted on my Mac...

Why can't anything be as easy as Apple's approach? I'm gritting my teach and on the verge of paying for mobileme.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

IMAP synchronizes with the server so anything you delete from any device with IMAP gets deleted on the server and anything you read or forward or flag etc...gets done on the server too

Apple Mail supports IMAP and works well with Gmail...make sure you synchronize the folders though, i.e. make sure the inbox is directly linked to Gmail inbox and so on

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I've obliterated emails on my Mac and come back to my Gmail account in a month and those buggers are still sucking air. Not only that but even when I DO delete them in Gmail they're still on my iPhone and I have the task of manually selecting and deleting 300 messages a month!

><

Damn it all.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You've got it set up as POP, obviously. It needs to be IMAP, have it check the server every hour or so.

5. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I had it set up as POP, it's currently IMAP. I'll give it one more try.

Is the iPhone storing the messages offline? If so I'm soooo gonna chunk the sucker down a shallow ravine.

6. mshepherd macrumors regular

Yes it will store it offline with imap. That's what you want, when it comes back online it will make it look like it does on the server. Besides, why do you delete email anyway?

7. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Because I'm as much of a tidy freak when it comes to someone else's servers as my own drives >8

0.o

wut

LUL

8. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

IMAP worked perfect after configuring all of the preferences in Mail, the iPhone and Gmail.

Finally, perfect results!

It's been a while since I've had one of those 0.o

9. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You want to make sure that both your phone and your computer are using IMAP. On any other server, that would be enough to give you a single view of your email regardless of which platform you used.

Google's IMAP server is a bit odd. This is compounded by the fact that Gmail never really deletes anything unless you work really hard at it.

Something that might help you is an option in Gmail Labs called "Advanced IMAP Controls" . The advanced controls let you choose what happens when you delete messages, and more importantly let you control what Gmail labels (folders) appear in IMAP. One of the best things you can do is turn off the "All Mail" label (in the Labels tab in Settings), as it keeps your mail client from having to download everything twice.

A.

10. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

11. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Ok just ONE problem, it's eency weency though!

I have duplicate mailboxes!

One appears to be local the other the Gmail server. I only want the local (top) mailboxes. This means when I get 1 message I actually have to delete it twice in both boxes.

[​IMG]