Pop sockets allow wireless charge?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by michael31986, Sep 25, 2018.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I need some sort of holder for my
    Max. I was looking at pop sockets so I can also use it as a stand. Can I wirelessly charge with it on?

Any other suggestions on other products.

2. chanerz macrumors 65816

3. Tdosthp macrumors regular

It is dependent on the wireless charger’s strength and where the coil(s) is located. I tested two out of my three home wireless chargers and it worked on one, but can be finicky. Sometimes it initially indicates charging, but after a few seconds charging stops, so you have to pay attention. It was too unreliable for me so I took the Popsocket off. I also use the Scosche magnetic Qi chargers in my truck and the Popsocket would defeat the purpose and ability of the magnetic connection.

4. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

Did you have a case and a pop socket? I'm looking to put it directly on my back screen protector.

5. Tdosthp macrumors regular

Yes. Sorry, should have mentioned. Had a very thin plastic skin-type case on it.

Could have gotten by, except for the Scosche chargers using magnets.

6. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

Do you have the iPhone Max. Trying to see how it looks on the Max. Still wondering how useful they're to one hand use

7. Tdosthp macrumors regular

Yep, the Max. My impression, YMMV, but to place the pop socket in a location to be the most advantageous, I do not believe wireless charging would work at all.

When I got my first Pop Socket for my 7plus, it was located as such that I would hold it between my ring finger and pinky or middle finger and ring finger. So about 2/3 of the way down the phone.

8. jldesutter83 macrumors regular

jldesutter83

I have a PopSocket on my Max with a case. I, too, was wondering if wireless chargers would work. I have mine place almost in the center but a little lower. Works great for one handed use.

Also, would a PopSocket work on the Apple Leather cases? I really want one but I can’t go without a PopSocket, lol.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Yes and no.

I went and got one of my blank pop sockets and put it on the phone. It's fairly close to the bottom. But it charges if I put the phone on upside down. (Which I sometimes do anyway as I can't tell up from down.)