POP to IMAP in Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tatty7, Dec 8, 2013.

1. tatty7 macrumors newbie

Hi
    Getting really confused!
    Have got 'Mail' now on my iPhone iPad & Mac for my home email all on POP, but was fed up of the three accounts not syncing e.g. when I delete an email on my iPhone it doesn't delete on the others.
    I managed to change my iPhone POP account to Imap and want to do the same with my Mail account on my Mac but not sure how to and if I do will I lose the saved folders I have on my Mac?!!

Presuming I start in Mail Preferences and account settings. But do I disable the account and start again by adding a new one or can I just change the POP settings to IMAP and will my folders remain intact?!?!?

Sooooo confusing!!!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Don't disable/delete the POP account yet because doing that will delete the locally stored emails.

Add the new IMAP account then drag the messages you want to keep from the POP account folders to the IMAP folders. Once that is done you can delete the POP account.

3. tatty7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    Thanks for replying.
    Trying to add the additional IMAP account but as I'm putting in same email and password it comes up with message
    The account already has this host name and user name, so can't add it…..:confused:

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... I see. So it won't accept the same account twice.

Do you have perhaps and outlook.com or Gmail account you could temporarily setup as IMAP in OS X Mail? Then drag the message from the POP folders to new temp folders in the IMAP account. Then delete the POP account and folder and add the IMAP account. Then drag the messages from the Outlook/GMail account to the new IMAP account.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

This might be a good time to back up all that mail. I'd export the folders as MBOX files, start fresh in Mail with the new IMAP version of your account, then re-import the mail.

That's the short version...if you don't know how to do it you'll need to research possible methods.

6. tatty7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can easily export the folder as MBOX folders and store them elsewhere, but how do you import them back once you have changed to IMAP? Just having a go before I do anything else but can't drag them back or find an import option!

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

In the File menu of Mail you will see the import option.

I did not suggest MBOX export because I don't think it will bring along attachments. Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken.

8. tatty7 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right. Just tried it and attachments disappear!!
    if I dragged all folders into my iCloud folders would that do it?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, iCloud is IMAP, so just make matching folders in iCloud and drag each POP folder's contents into the new iCloud folder.

10. scbond macrumors 6502

If the emails are still stored on the server then there's really no need to worry about deleting the account locally and losing the email files on the device as they'll be downloaded again when the account is added again and Mail sent/received.