Pop-up blocker?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thedeejay, Oct 24, 2012.

1. thedeejay, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

What I'm trying to figure out is if safari has an in-built pop up blocker. Somehow ads always get through. Anyone have any idea how to stop/disable this? Checked settings and couldn't find anything there.

Thanks,

theDEEJAY

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, in Safari, click Safari > Block Pop-Up Windows. Or click Safari > Preferences > Security > Block pop-up windows.

It's true that not all pop-ups are blocked. I run several ad-blockers. ClickToFlash, Safari AdBlock, GlimmerBlocker and JavaScript Blocker are just a few.

3. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Didn't want to start a new thread for the same topic. Anyone have any other recommendations or something that's like an ALL in one as the ones mentioned above?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be. I'm now down to 3, although they're not specifically for pop-ups: AdBlock for most ads (tried Adblock Plus but wasn't impressed), ClickToFlash for Flash content and JavaScript Blocker for JavaScripts.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm assuming that MacRumors makes most of it's money through advertising. Does MacRumors still make money if people use the adblocks ?

6. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

How effective are they? I still seem to see the occasional ad get by. Why is that

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

We're not talking about blocking ads on this site, but adblocking in general. The best way to avoid ads on this site is to contribute.
    No adblocker is 100% effective. As long as the ads that get by are infrequent, I wouldn't worry about it.

8. Plutonius, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yes but adblocking in general would also block the ads on this site. I was just asking if blocking the ads would affect the revenue to this site or other sites I visit. If it does, I can put up with a few ads so the sites get their money.

I can't believe someone could have over 41,000 post especially since it's since May, 2008 (I never saw a macrumors Westmere before :D).

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, blocking ads does reduce the revenue sites make from those ads. That's why contributing to this site is a great idea.
    I never saw one before, either! :D