Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DallasCowboysFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
Dallas, Texas
I know Apple has a pop up blocker on Safari.
But I still downloaded Ad Block to catch anything Safari misses.

Lately, a lot of links have been blocking me for having a pop up blocker that did not do it previously.
YouTube is one of them.

After having to delete some YT videos that I was interested in seeing, YT won the war and I decided to allow advertising on their site.
Unfortunately, YT is still blocking the videos.

I went to Ad block and stopped blocking the page and the site, but YT is still blocked
Then I went to Safari > Settings for YY > unchecked enable content blockers

But YT is still being blocked.
I have tried every combination of checking and unchecking...restarted the computer....but it's still being blocked.

I have also hit the tab on YT that permits ads on YT, but it doesn't work.

Do I need to delete Ad Block completely?
I think it does a better job than Safari.

I'll delete it if it is necessary but I like the idea of keeping it to block other ads.

Why is it not working if everything is unchecked to allow advertising on the site?

Last edited:

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I've been wrestling this for the past 6 weeks or so, myself (I use Vinegar and Wipr, no experience with Ad Block). There seems to be a back-n-forth between the programmers of the blocker programs and YT. There is a phrase that appears on blocked YT videos "Still blocked and you've disabled your ad blockers? Report it Here" and I've taken a screen shot and sent it in a couple times; haven't noticed that it does anything.

About half the channels I visit have a separate website for their "merch", bios, etc and often a list of their YT videos, and if you click on them from their website the ads don't appear. I've set up a separate Safari Profile with those websites, and use that to keep up. Some on YT start an ad that I can "Skip" after 5 seconds, I can deal with that but if the channel forces two or more non-skippable ads, I say goodbye to that channel.

I realize YT has to make money somewhere, and accepted the fact that they tracked my interests and sold that data to Big Business. BUT, to now charge me to watch other people's content, while only providing a "Hosting service", is too much for me; they're rich enough to meet behind closed doors with my congressmen while I'm not, and that's where I stop. I've already walked away from US airlines, sirius xm, BMW, cable TV, etc and I have no problem with leaving YT too. Sooo sick of the unbridled greed in this country...

DallasCowboysFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
Dallas, Texas
I've been wrestling this for the past 6 weeks or so, myself (I use Vinegar and Wipr, no experience with Ad Block). There seems to be a back-n-forth between the programmers of the blocker programs and YT. There is a phrase that appears on blocked YT videos "Still blocked and you've disabled your ad blockers? Report it Here" and I've taken a screen shot and sent it in a couple times; haven't noticed that it does anything.

About half the channels I visit have a separate website for their "merch", bios, etc and often a list of their YT videos, and if you click on them from their website the ads don't appear. I've set up a separate Safari Profile with those websites, and use that to keep up. Some on YT start an ad that I can "Skip" after 5 seconds, I can deal with that but if the channel forces two or more non-skippable ads, I say goodbye to that channel.

I realize YT has to make money somewhere, and accepted the fact that they tracked my interests and sold that data to Big Business. BUT, to now charge me to watch other people's content, while only providing a "Hosting service", is too much for me; they're rich enough to meet behind closed doors with my congressmen while I'm not, and that's where I stop. I've already walked away from US airlines, sirius xm, BMW, cable TV, etc and I have no problem with leaving YT too. Sooo sick of the unbridled greed in this country...
-------

Ditto.... I tapped the link and replied on Friday or Saturday, and I have not received a reply.
And I don't expect too.

I often see the ads begin and then I skip then after 5 seconds or so. I wonder how many people actually allow the ads to run through. I don't think it is too many.

I agree that they need to make money and I would not mind allowing ads if they were brief and reasonable.
But I don't like the idea of them collating personal data about me and selling it to data brokers.

About 2 months ago I subscribed to Incognito (as in incognito). It's a company that scrubs your data from numerous
data brokers that compile information about everywhere I have ever lived, phone numbers, email address etc.
The data that makes my blood pressure rise is when they rate me socially from 1-5.
I despise the idea of the govt or anyone else creating a social credit score on me to determine whether I can use my passport, get a job etc.... I don't like Big Brother very much.

All I want to do is watch a yt video on replacing the O2 sensor on my car, or see an old video by the Beatles.

I have gone to Rumble a few times but their library of videos is not nearly as broad as YT.

I'll keep trying. Something has to work.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How I block out the YouTube ads.

First, I don't use Safari much anymore for YouTube.

Instead, I use the free "Orion" browser from Kaji software:

I have Orion set to ALWAYS open into an empty "private" window.

With Orion running, I added the extension:
AdBlocker for YouTube™ (0.4.1)
(this might actually be a Firefox extension, but Orion runs it anyway)

Now, I go to YT, NOT "signed in" but with a "private" browser.

I locate the video I want to watch.
I RIGHT CLICK on the video link, and from the contextual menu I choose "open link in new private window".

Doing this, the video plays without ads.

Once you have Orion set up, there's nothing to it.

Works for me.

DallasCowboysFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
Dallas, Texas
Okay,

I have tried to removed ADblock blocker about 50 times and it is not working.
If I go to finder and try to delete it, a message says it is open and can't be deleted.
If I go to the app at the top of the page by the search bar and stop it, I still can't delete it.

If I go to the top and stop blocking, I still can't delete it.

If I go to settings and try to find it, that does not work
If I left and right click on the search bar, it appears, but if I highlight it to delete it, it says it is open and I have to. go to finder

It's a vicious circle.

I don't recall ever having this many problems deleting an app.

What am I doing wrong, what am I missing?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
re reply 12 above...

If you go to your user account (system preferences/settings), do you have ADblock set to opened at startup?

If so, it will be running in the background and you may not be able to delete it.

I scanned above but can't find which Mac you have.
If it's an Intel-based Mac, try rebooting with the shift key held down ("safe mode").
This prevents extensions from loading and I'm wondering if it will prevent Adblock from starting, also. Then you may be able to delete it.

Reactions: BotchQue

DallasCowboysFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
Dallas, Texas
I found the start up programs and the only ones I had starting were Ad Block and the weather widget.

I highlighted the ad block and tapped the negative sign at the bottom and deleted it from startup.

Head to System Settings > General > Login Items to see a list of your Mac's startup applications. You can disable programs that start when macOS boots and add your own startup applications from here.

I returned to Finder and tried to delete the application and it still says that the program is open. Regardless of whether the program is open or closed.

Dang, this is much harder than it should be.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I found the start up programs and the only ones I had starting were Ad Block and the weather widget.

I highlighted the ad block and tapped the negative sign at the bottom and deleted it from startup.

Head to System Settings > General > Login Items to see a list of your Mac's startup applications. You can disable programs that start when macOS boots and add your own startup applications from here.

I returned to Finder and tried to delete the application and it still says that the program is open. Regardless of whether the program is open or closed.

Dang, this is much harder than it should be.
You should have rebooted after deleting the app from login active. What you did (which was good) doesn't kill any active app processes. You also need to remove it from Safari itself.

DallasCowboysFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
Dallas, Texas
I think I finally go it. At least is disappeared from the search window.
But I still have not been able to delete it from the applications.

These are the instructions I found online....

Attachments

• IMG_3651.jpeg
    IMG_3651.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 30

DallasCowboysFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
Dallas, Texas
Reactions: Apple_Robert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.