Pop-up says my clock is wrong ..... but it isn't

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Dec 6, 2008.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

I'm using an eMac G4 1.0 GHz wth Tiger which I only got this week. This is only the second time I have switched it on. I got the same message the first time but figured it was probably just because the software hadn't been set so I set the time/date/location details.
    So just now I switched on again and got the same pop-up window saying my clock was out of date and to go to prefs to fix it. but the clock and date are already correct and showing correct.
    What's going on?
    Cheers,
    Steve

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

The battery inside the mac may be low on charge (PRAM battery). When you start the mac it will tell you that the clock is wrong, since it lost track of the correct time. If the mac is connected to the net it will automatically set the time according to a time server as soon as possible.

Well, just a guess.

3. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

Lol. A guess is better than I already got so cheers

4. jnette macrumors member

Sounds good to me, too. My old Clamshell kept doing that recently.. and the batter was actually DEAD........ heh. But even with it plugged in and running on power, that same pop-up would come up everytime I turned it on. Very annoying.. and the clock was always correct, just like yours.

I believe it has to do with the battery being low, or as in my case dead..LOL!

That would make sense, yes?

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Your clock will self-correct once the laptop is powered on if you have the network setting in Date/time enabled. If not, then each time you power on your computer - and the battery is flat - then you will be warned that the clock is set to the wrong date/time.

Changing the battery is not a huge job, in an eMac for example, it's quite close to the RAM sticks, and readily accessible. In a G3 iMac you need both very long and very strong fingers. I took the lower casing and Faraday plate off to change the battery in my iMac. The batteries aren't cheap either!

6. jnette macrumors member

I had ordered a battery to replace the bad one... no problem to replace. Hey.. this old geek took the entire clamshell apart after I first got it.. down to bare bones to replace the DC inboard.. and then put it all back together again.. all by myself, mind you !!! :D Took me about five hours, but by George, I did it ! So yeh.. the battery replacement is nothing. ;)

Sad thing was, that the brand new battery didn't do squat either. It simply no longer powers on PERIOD unless it's plugged into the wall. So evidently it wasn't the battery? I dunno... crazy.

An ideas?

So I gave that od toy to my daughter to mess with, and I just bought myself this brand new MBP.. just arrived 2 days ago ! And I am sooooooooooo in heaven !!!!!! :D :D :D