Pop-ups & invasive advertising in all web browers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imaginations, May 11, 2014.

1. imaginations macrumors newbie

This is my first post here and I am very not tech savvy.

I recently attempted to download utorrent (unsuccessfully) and instead my MacBook Retina Display (2013) OS 10.9.2 has been inundated with extremely invasive advertising material in all web browsers (I use Chrome and Safari).

I have tried all the tricks I have been able to find (deleting all extensions, deleting/uninstalling all the suspicious applications downloaded, installing AdBlock) etc with very limited success. Adblock is certainly blocking advertisements but the same ones that have been persistent since the attempt to download utorrent are continuing in the extreme.

I have included images of the different types of ads I am receiving below to illustrate:

1. Hyperlinked text to advertisements
    [​IMG]

2. The same three ads appearing in blocks on the left, right and base of the browser
    [​IMG]

3. Ask.com replacing the first several search returns in Google
    [​IMG]

4. Pop-ups to new pages when clicking on random links
    [​IMG]

Any advice would be appreciated as most info I can find online appears to be for Windows operating systems.

2. NexusHubs macrumors newbie

NexusHubs

Since you have deleted all extensions, take a look at the plug-ins installed. Direct your Chrome to this URL:
    chrome://plugins/

Try disabling unknown plug-ins. If you still get ads, you may have adware installed inside the system.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

4. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Thanks for that link. I was getting pop-ups in Chrome and this tool fixed it.