Pop3 & IMAP mail not downloading for offline reading

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shadie, Sep 17, 2008.

1. shadie macrumors member

As the title states, 1st Gen Touch with 2.1 software, no hacks or unathorized installations.

1. I find that I have to open the email application to check for new mails, auto check (15 minutes does not work)

2. After the emails are supposedly received and I leave the office I have found that 95% of the emails from either POP or IMAP accounts are not actually downloaded to the device. This also applies to emails that have even been previewed before I have left the office.

I'm new to the iPhone/iPod Touch world and was wondering if this is the norm.

I have seen a few threads with people suggesting that the POP email protocol is to blame or that users should swap from POP email to IMAP. This is not a solution, if all my other mobile devices using multiple email clients and operating systems can check and download my emails from POP and IMAP servers, why can the Touch not not do this?

Honestly, if I can't download my email to the device for offline reading it's mostly useless to me.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

2. mzd macrumors 6502a

i'm not sure if it depends at all on your mail server?
    not much help, but mine works perfectly. i'm very impressed with mail.app actually. i really couldn't find much in the way of your usual account options (keep messages on the server, etc.) it just happened to work exactly the way i hoped. are you using POP or IMAP btw?

3. extra300 macrumors newbie

I also have a 1st Gen Touch with 2.1 software and

"find that I have to open the email application to check for new mails, auto check (15 minutes does not work)"

I never had this problem before the new update. I don't see many others complaining about this problem with 2.1. If anybody has a work around please post here.

It appears WIFI is turning completely off when it goes into sleep mode, therefore not fetching new data until it awakes.

4. shadie thread starter macrumors member

The 15 minute downloading problem is not so much of an issue. If I connect power it does work or manually check.

What I'm looking for is a way to download all my email for offline reading.

Sometimes the IMAP accounts will download messages with attachments, other times I get a "This message has not been downloaded from the server" or "this message has only partially been downloaded to download the rest click here" or similar.

POP3 is pretty much useless on this device, even if it "downloads" my messages and I read them, the email content disappears when I go offline and recheck.

Any suggestions?

I have two POP3 accounts and three IMAP accounts, I also have an Exchange account but I'm hesitant to connect from this device at the moment.