Popcorn 2... Recommended for DVDs?

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I am in the US Marines and travel often. I will be going to Japan for 2 years and want to take my DVD collection of anime :) However I want to leave all my original discs back at home where they are safe. I want to make copys of them. I own toast 8, however did not get popcorn because I dont know if it is the best method to back up DVDs?

What do you recommend?

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Popcorn won't backup/copy a protected DVD. You need to use MacTheRipper or Handrbrake for that. Popcorn is normally used for compressing the files ripped from a dual-layer DVD to fit onto a single-layer DVD.

I also think, but I'm not sure, that if you have Toast 8 then it includes the popcorn function. Can a toast user confirm this?

NtotheIzoo

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
I also think, but I'm not sure, that if you have Toast 8 then it includes the popcorn function. Can a toast user confirm this?
Now...i dont know if it has popcorn...but after ripping with MacTheRipper you can burn the ripped file with Toast and it automatically compresses to fit on the DVD-R...I hope this helps.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Toast 8 has Popcorn functionality built in. Regardless, yes, you will need to use a tool such as MtR or Handbrake first though.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Now...i dont know if it has popcorn...but after ripping with MacTheRipper you can burn the ripped file with Toast and it automatically compresses to fit on the DVD-R...I hope this helps.
Ditto - MtR, then Toast 8 to burn the Video_TS folder. There's a special option you have to check in Toast 8 that will compress a ripped DVD file (typically 5-8GB) down to fit on a 4.7GB DVD-R. Look in the Help file in Toast for how to do it; you may have to check a "show more options" preference.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I have MTR also, sounds good! I will use MTR and Toast !

So then what may I ask is popcorn for? Thanks

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
I have MTR also, sounds good! I will use MTR and Toast !

So then what may I ask is popcorn for? Thanks
If all you want to do is copy unprotected DVDs or compress ripped DVD-DL files to fit on a DVD, and you are happy with the standard OS X based burning functions, then Popcorn is all you need.

Also, at first, Popcorn had this compress to fit function and Toast did not.