Popcorn or Toast

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aznando, Aug 28, 2009.

1. aznando macrumors newbie

aznando

I'm trying to find some DVD burning software that will work for my needs. The main thing I need is something that will rip a DVD so I can store some DVD's on my hard drive. I also would like something that can capture .flv files and convert different file type in a format to watch on my ipod. Popcorn and Toast were two programs I was looking at. I found somewhere that had Toast 9 for 50 bucks. Should I get that over paying 100 for Toast 10? Any experience with Popcorn? Any other software I should look at? Thanks for your help.

Aznando

2. galactic732 macrumors member

3. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

+1. Although if you are on a Mac. Use MacTheRipper. Then handbrake.

4. aznando thread starter macrumors newbie

aznando

Thanks for the tip. Handbrake looks like a real good program. I've read that the old version of mac the ripper the one that is freeware doesn't work on most DVD's anymore. Is that true? Any good rippers out there that will work with new DVD's?

Aznando

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It works pretty good for such an old version, but yes there's some new DVDs that it can't rip properly.

Check out Fairmount.

6. Fa7mac macrumors regular

Fa7mac

Go to Toast.
    It even has support to burn Blu-ray disks (if you have a blu-ray drive or on the DVD drive but you will need the blu-ray plugin

i use it and i love it!

7. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

+1 for ripit. amazing app really fast and no messing with settings. just one click and go

8. lucamacis macrumors member

I use the mactheripper and handbrake combo. Has worked flawlessly for me so far and it's very easy. About 30 minutes to rip the dvd to your mac. The handbrake encode varies. Very reliable though.

9. aznando thread starter macrumors newbie

aznando

I'm really liking Handbrake thus far. I don't think it captures .flv files though. Any advice on software for that? There are some good you tube videos out there I would like to save.

Aznando

10. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

11. aznando thread starter macrumors newbie

aznando

Thanks for the link. I'm still very new to Mac there is so much you can do with the software it comes with without needing extra software. I'm learning more and more everyday with some help from you nice people.

Aznando

12. hornshwangler macrumors newbie

+1, MTR & handbrake are both very solid and HB is free!

13. Greenjeens macrumors regular

I started with an early version of Popcorn and found it lacking, and a real bare bones tool, perhaps the upgraded Popcorns are moer feature rich? I bought Toast, which I continue to use almost daily as it is chock full of useful disc creating software like the ability to create disc images and burn MP3 discs and data discs of a great variety. Toast also came with a great CD/DVD labeling product called Discus, which I have upgraded over time and use extensively for high quality CD/DVD art work copies or creating originals. Think Roxio switched to another labeling system intro version, and don't promote Discus any longer. I didn't care for much the new Disc Art sw they had on Toast.

I don't think there is a better labeling software for the Mac user, let me know if there is something better? SO, get Toast anyway if you plan on burning discs, or creating disc images as well as burning TS files to DVD. And if you don't need Blu Ray support yet, I think you can downgrade a version.
    It's full of lots of great Mac DISC software of all kinds. I prefer it to burning discs with iTunes only and it generally integrates with iTunes well. (for the most part)

Toast is a a nicely put together suite, with a good user interface which is fairly simple or as complicated as you need it to be.
    I keep getting offers from Roxio for highly discounted Toast versions, so I'm sure it is available for less than full price.
    The one experience with Handbrake took me a long, long time to encode, but that could be my old equipment. I have dabbled with Mac the Ripper and it works well with older stuff. If you have the patience to jump through the hoops to contact the author and get an UPDATED version, which gets more and more intricate.

I think it's just about to the point where it may require less energy to just purchase another disc copy than to deal with frequent anti copy iterations that can turn a whole lot of time and work into a coaster. Be prepared to keep up on all the latest snags and then run into frequent glitches with long waits for a fix. I don't have time for that anymore. I don't even have enough time to watch the few movies being produced these days that would be worth buying in order to back up.

14. Sid James macrumors newbie

I was a big fan of Handbrake, but I've recently switched to Popcorn just before Christmas and can recommend it. I got a discount on it through this site - http://www.softwarecoupons.org/roxio-popcorn-coupon-code/