Popping bottom case on rMBP.. driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benguild, Sep 7, 2012.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

So, this is a replacement machine, and every time I move or reposition it it "pops". I had them tighten the screws in the store, but it's still doing it.

It's literally driving me insane since I think the computer's breaking when this happens.

Anyone else? I'm still in the "return period" for the replacement machine and I'm not sure how to solve this otherwise.

2. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Instead of having them tighten the bottom cover, have them reseat and align it. Just make sure that they don't strip the head of the pentalobe screw. :)

3. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ugh, seriously?
    This is the third time I've been into the store in the past few weeks. Such a pain to get there.

This replacement machine has an LG screen so I'm already worried I'm going to have problems with it later!

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

My wife had this problem when she bought her MBP in june 2011. They ended up replacing the entire computer for free. She reported it within 2 months of purchase.

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

It must be loose center pressure clips. My 2012 cMBP has them. If it pops out you can put pressure on the center of the case and they'll pop back in but annoying and if a constant issue I would get it fixed.

6. illmatic41 macrumors member

If you can return it, return it. Reseating might help, but more than likely, it'll come back. In my case, having it reseated and then having the rMBP heat up from use, brings back the popping/creaking/cracking noise.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

always return something thats bugs you that much if your in the return period

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I found that the screws being *too* tight makes it creak and pop. I loosened all of them and tightened in a criss-cross pattern to the point of resistance. Then I just slightly tightened a little bit past. Creak free so far. Ideally I would have tightened them with a torque screwdriver... but I don't have one.

9. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

It is exactly like derbothaus mentioned. Problem is, the apple service tech doesnt know this. Advice them to apply pressure on the two clips bevore/during they screw the cover back down.
    This should do the trick.

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I would return it as well - it sounds unacceptable and clearly not something that should be happening.

11. i4Collin macrumors regular

My rMBP does it too, but I just ignore it. I've already sent it back to get a new screen, and just recently I got my iPhone swapped out. I'm tired of going to get stuff fixed.

12. alyshehata macrumors member

Had the same exact problem. I think the RMBP is a great machine, but the manufacture flaws are terrible
    first mac had software issues (wouldn't install ML)
    second replacement had case popping noise all over. Moving the screen would make weird sounds, and moving it around was terrible.
    third replacement had IR issue (LG screen btw) and had a popping noise from the left side when i push the bottom cover in a little bit.
    fourth replacement.... PERFECT. No popping noise, beautiful samsung screen, no cosmetic issues. I'm keeping it :')
    Take it to the apple store, and tell them you want a replacement. If you're not in the return period, insist on a replacement. If you are, they'll replace it without any questions. Good Luck!

13. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah. I took it in twice and they replaced it the 2nd time after tightening the screws the first time.

New machine is totally fine. Hope the problem doesn't return!

14. kirky1234 macrumors member

I have this issue with my current rmbp (second replacement). I'll go to the apple store at friday, hoping that reseating the bottom will help... If not I don't know if I should replace it once again, since my first one had this even worse...
    Maybe I'll ask them if they could just bring 5 rmbp to my home, I unpack one after another until I find one that's without faults... Honestly its getting annoying!