Popping-Crackling noise in MacPro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bucko, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Bucko macrumors member

Hi,

I just purchased a Mac Pro 8c, 2.4ghz 3 weeks ago. On a rare occasion I hear a electronic crackling or popping sound from the computer. I was leaving the computer alone for awhile and heard a moderate crackling/popping sound from the front. I thought it might be someone using a cellphone nearby? I also sometimes hold down letters on the keyboard for about 5 secs and hear the sound from the back of the computer? Sounds like it's coming from the speakers? Anyone else?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Mac Pro has a built-in mono speaker if that's what you're asking about.

3. Bucko thread starter macrumors member

No, doesn't sound like it. Sounds electronic. There is nothing playing (music or sounds when it happens) What sound could make that?

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Is it louder if you listen from the back? My first PSU had a noticeable electric buzzing. It was the loudest when listening near the power plug. If it's from the front, does it sound like a vibrating fan or HDD?

5. Bucko thread starter macrumors member

About the same. Could a cell phone nearby cause it? but happens when I hold down keyboard in a program too. Might not be worth thinking about. I'll see if it happens again and more. Thanks

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I suppose it could be interference with some of the radios (airport and bluetooth) inside coming out through the internal speaker. I believe that is what alphaod was suggesting. I always have a cell phone near mine and don't here what you're describing, but that certainly doesn't rule it out. Maybe your internal speaker is blown. Can you try playing some sound effects through it and see how it sounds?