Popping, skipping and muting

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by scooter2525, Mar 3, 2013.

1. scooter2525 macrumors member

So I recently ripped a Blu Ray with MakeMKV then used the handbrake to convert the video file with the apple tv 3 preset. After that I used iDentify to embed the meta data for the movie. Once that was done, I tried to play the movie through apple tv 3 on my receiver. While watching the movie, the sound would pop, change volume levels, momentarily mute and at one point caused the receiver to shut off. I can play the same movie on itunes without the same issues. What gives?

Oh and after the first pass through handbrake, I did a second where I manually set the videos picture settings with a lower size (width 1280 and height to 720). Would that be the correct way to get a lower data size? Thanks!

2. mic j macrumors 68030

No, that is not a good way to do it. Every pass you put it through reduces quality. First, HB aTV3 preset will trim the black bars from the image. If you are wanting a 720p file you will be better off using the aTV2 preset. And/or you can reduce the quality setting (RF: higher number yields lower quality) to the lowest point where you are satisfied with the image quality.

3. scooter2525 thread starter macrumors member

So better work flow would be MakeMKV>HB ATV 2 (set constant quality to what number I think works best)>identify?

4. mic j macrumors 68030

I think it is worth a shot to see if you like the output (file size and image quality).

One way to test quality and not have a huge time investment, is to just transcode a single chapter. Look for a chapter that has dark scenes and/or flat monochromatic backgrounds (sky, walls, etc). Look for pixelation/blocking artifacts. Note that when your operating on the "quality" edge, you can see quality variation depending on the source quality and the RF may need adjustment for each movie. That's one reason I do overkill on the RF setting. I hate it when I spend an hour or 2 transcoding a file, watch it a month later, then see artifacts in the video.