Popping sound and strong smell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miseny, Jun 9, 2017.

1. miseny macrumors newbie

I was playing a game on my new MacBook Pro 2016 13" TB and then it made a loud popping sound somewhere close to the screen and began to smell. It sounded like squeezing a plastic bottle (as I found others who have experienced the same thing describe). The smell is strong and sharp and it seems to be coming from the left back vent (when the apple logo is on top and upside down).

The laptop was quite warm but not hot when this happened and the fans were not loud at all. I also had two dices under to rise it from the back and provide a better airflow (could this have been the cause?). But then again I used this method on my old laptop (mid 2012) often and it never caused any problems.

After this happened I shut down my laptop and an hour later opened it. It has now been open for an hour and the laptop seems to operate normally and I can only detect the smell if I stick my nose close to the vent.

Where does this smell come from? What about the popping sound? Should I be worried? I have had this laptop for less than a week.

2. jerryk macrumors 68040

Sounds like a capacitor blowing. I would take it in and let Apple check it out.

3. miseny thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Does a blown capacitor require immediate repair or can I continue using my laptop normally for a while?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I wouldn't. Definitely get it looked at ASAP.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Capacitors smooth voltage spikes, among other things. The capacitor blowing could be a problem with a faulty capacitor, or something else failed, and capacitor blowing is only a symptom.

Don't delay, get it repaired today!

6. jerryk macrumors 68040

I would take it in real soon before the smell goes away so Apple with fix/replace the unit.

7. miseny thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately the store where I got this laptop is closed for today but I will try to go there tomorrow. I think the smell will be gone by tomorrow but that shouldn't matter if there is really something wrong with the laptop.

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

If a capacitor blew, it should be obvious when they open up your laptop. There will be capacitor electrolyte sponge all around the affected area. Probably a little scorching on the board where the cap is soldered as well.

9. miseny thread starter macrumors newbie

Got my laptop back from repair yesterday. I'm not sure what the problem was but they ended up replacing the motherboard.

Because the laptop broke down when it was still so new I wanted to return it so I could buy a new one that doesn't have any problems. (But then again the repaired laptop could last for years without any problems, but nobody knows.) I wanted to return it to the store but apparently they don't accept repaired apple computers. Is this policy true? You can't return repaired apple computers because of apple's policy? The computer is still in the store's return window (which is longer than apple's). I even tried to return it before it was repaired but they didn't allow it because it was broken and sent it for a repair. The store is not an Apple Store but a reseller.

Will an Apple Store accept a repaired computer or am I stuck with a computer I am not satisfied with?

10. benface macrumors regular

11. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

You have a new logic board. Problems are gone. :)