Popping the question! Trouble finding ring... help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

So my girlfriend and I are going on a trip to Hawai'i soon and I'm thinking of asking her to marry me while we are there. I need a ring within 4 weeks and I've been looking like mad for weeks and have almost nothing. I've been to every shop in town and every site I can find and almost everything I see is OK at best.

I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help me out with:

1) Does anyone have experience with a site called MyJewelryBox.com? The best ring I can find is there, but I don't know how I feel about them in general. I've looked them up on several review sites and, like any larger company, there is some good and some bad, mostly good it seems. Any input would be great.

2) The ring I'm looking at is here: http://www.myjewelrybox.com/?section=item&itemID=5333. I love it and think it looks fantastic. My concern, again, is the jeweler. They have a store on Amazon and this ring is there, but no reviews.

2.5) I would love to see any rings like this one, and near the same price point, if anyone knows of any.

3) Any great online jeweler recommendations would be awesome as well. I'm particularly impressed with BlueNile.com, though I haven't fallen in love with any of their merchandise.

I guess that's it for now. Please help! I have four weeks, but I feel like I've no time at all. I just want to get this done, so much so that I'm worried I'll make a bad decision out of haste! Thanks in advance! :p

2. detz macrumors 65816

Good luck, I proposed in Aruba December 07 and it was fun but nerve racking. Here is a hint, get the ring insured before you go. ;-)

I got her ring from whiteflash.com and the people were really helpful and the ring is great. If you pick one stock I'm sure you can get it within four weeks.

Good luck.

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I hadn't come across WhiteFlash.com, checking it out now. Thanks! :)

4. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Why not just buy local? Before you leave, and if you buy it from a small company you can usually get it resized before you leave.

That would be my suggestion, get it sized before you give it to her, I was kinda bummed when I got my ring but couldn't wear it for a week.

Good luck.

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

The prices locally seem to be outrageous compared to online for the same quality, especially for the diamonds themselves. Also, the selection isn't very good by comparison. I do like the idea of being able to see it in person and have it sized and everything before leaving. Also this would cut out the stress of having it shipped and worrying if it'll need to be shipped back for any reason.

I found the following ring at WhiteFlash.com and I really really like it. Unfortunately, the price (which is basically my max) is without a center stone. Also, their diamond prices are insane. Here's a link: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagemen...eur-de-Clara-Ashley--Engagement-Ring_1164.htm

6. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Robin's Brothers is a good bet as far as I've heard...

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Go for speechless. Blue Nile. Oh wait, that's the ad on the page.. sry..

I hope she says yes and the two of you are very happy together. :) I think getting an antique ring or heirloom is a sweet idea myself, since it has a romantic history attached to it. If you buy one stock, it means any other gal anywhere can go buy the same thing and it loses it's distinction. That's just me.

8. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks! I'll check them out. :)

Thanks for the wishes. I think the fact that I hand picked everything (even the stone if possible) is distinction enough. She's already getting something that's one-of-a-kind. :rolleyes:

I wish I could get the one from WhiteFlash.com that I linked to earlier, but the minimum center stone size is .75ct and that adds another grand or so to a price that is already out of my budget. :(

9. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

I'll suggest a a few things.

1 - Ask an older female family member (Grandmother or Mother) for their engagement ring, when you give it to her, tell her the whole history behind it, so she'll appreciate the sentimental value behind it.

2 - Have wooden rings made, it's organic and she might appreciate the connection with nature.

3 - Have Tattoo engagement rings done, it's permanent, organic and they're forever, plus it's alternative.

4 - Buy a similar engagement ring to 'Princess Diana'!
    There's a lot of historic interest around this ring, and it's liked very much.

[​IMG]

5 - Goodluck

10. furious macrumors 65816

furious

get something that suits her fingers. Ask the jeweller.

Remember it does matter how much you spend on the ring. It is the THOUGHT that counts.

My friend works in a jeweller store and she told me of the guys who come in a spend $5 000 or more on a ring and yet have no idea about her likes and dis-likes. Go through her jewellery and look at what shapes and styles feature most. Also take note of how she wears the jewellery. If everyday clothes she has no or very little jewellery on do not get a big ring that will clash.

Also shop around.

11. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Also, statistically, 2 out of 3 marriages end in divorce these days!
    Just convince her that just being together is the way forward,
    and then go spend that money on a new Mac Pro!

Or just pay for a nice vacation for you both...

;)

12. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I've heard great things about bluenile and they have next day shipping.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Or how about something that suits her personality. :confused:

The ring the OP showed us is rather flash. You may like it, but you better hope that it's not too much for her. Sometimes, people like conservative things when it comes to weddings, wedding rings, etc, even if they're not very conservative in other choices they make.

You will know your girlfriend infinitely better than any of us, but if I were to get the same ring for my girlfriend, she'd probably hate to wear it. She'd wear it because it's her wedding ring, but it wouldn't really be her 1st choice, or not even her 10th choice. Her personality is just something you need to consider. ;)

Also.......Brilliant Earth diamonds. Guilt-free diamond rings. ;)

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Just do what tons of couples do these days and take her with you when you go shopping so you don't get the "wrong" ring.

15. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

for guys who wants to surprise the grrls, how do you get the ring size, without her knowing?

a friend of mine has this girl he wants to marry, but she doesn't wear a ring (i think, it is because she doesn't have one, not because she doesn't like rings).

what do men say, when they go to the jewellers? does it work like when men go to victorias secret and say, "hmmm... a size smaller than yours..."?

16. haiggy macrumors 65816

Well I'm no expert but once you propose you can get the band shortened.. (maybe even lengthened but I doubt it?) to their specific size. It may not fit exactly as it should the day you propose.

17. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You can ask her friends or if she's a deep sleeper, measure her finger when she's sleeping. You can download the measurement here.

If it doesn't fit, you can get it resized, within reason. :)

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

19. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Might I recommend buying a box of cracker-jacks

20. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

I suggest getting a "Dummy" ring for the proposal and then taking her shopping for the "Right" ring. I know girls/women who didn't have a choice in the rings they were given and they HATE them. My wife and I looked for months before finding the right one. Then I surprised her with it on Valentine's Day a couple years ago. Definately let her pick out the ring. She will be sensible about a budget if given the chance. Good luck!!

21. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I'm going to have to second this.

Get a wooden ring and have it engraved with a promise of a nicer one! It's cute, it's affordable, and she'll appreciate the thought that you're putting into it. She'll also like being able to go with you to pick it out.

22. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Have you talked with her Mother, Sisters, Friends about this? If you insist on making the choice, another opinion of what your future Wife would like might be helpful. Enlisting somebody else might help you get a ring size too....

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Is it really that high? And I suspect if you actually love each other the marriage is much more likely to last.

One of my friends raised this point a couple of years ago and I took a look to see what the position is in the UK, the major retailers I looked at from the the largest jewellery chain in the UK to the equivalent of Tiffany +1 had an ethical policy on diamonds on their website.

Therefore I'd assume whoever you buy from should be able to confirm that the jewel isn't a conflict diamond.

And if she isn't do you really want to marry her?

24. bartelby macrumors Core

Not in the UK it's not.

25. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I'm doing my best to make sure that we will be able to return the ring if she doesn't like it, because I'd really like to pick it out myself. I think that would mean more than anything to her.

I'm leaning away from the flashier stuff these past few days, mostly because I'm beginning to think something a little simpler (though not too simple) would be better. Plus, I'd then be able to afford a nicer stone.

Thanks for the tip on BrilliantEarth.com, they have nice settings, and I know she would appreciate that no one died for her diamond. After all, she's a vegetarian. :p

This one made my top 3. Check it out!

Those following this thread are the only ones I've said a word to about this decision. I'm planning on discussing it with her parents shortly before we leave (read: asking her father for her hand). I know they would really appreciate the gesture, they are very old-fashioned. Aside from that, I don't want there to be even a slight chance of her finding out beforehand. I've never gotten her a single gift she didn't guess ahead of time, I worry that she may already suspect something though I can't imagine how!

To those I didn't reply to directly, thanks for the input. I really appreciate everyones thoughts and ideas! Keep 'em coming! :D