PopSockets iPhone Case: KickStarter (Neat)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by labman, Jan 9, 2012.

1. labman macrumors 604

labman

Saw this case on Kickstarter different design the video is pretty funny as well.

from the Designer:
    My case has two expanding sockets that function as a kickstand, a headset management system, a pocketless clip, a gaming cradle, a shoulder stand, and a one-hand stand (illustrations below). The sockets are replaceable and come in a range of designs, so it's easy and fun to control the look of the case.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1250439912/popsockets-iphone-case-it-pops-props-kicks-and-cli

[​IMG]

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That was definitely the weirdest kickstarter video I've seen. Interesting product.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

4. mcmanusn macrumors newbie

Great, original concept--both the product and the Kickstarter campaign. It's nice to see someone change it up!

5. djfududeman macrumors newbie

I agree with mcmanusn, most kickstarter projects are either just a list of features or a boring product video. Seems like the guy is getting a good amount of funds honestly; must be doing something right.

6. artyweld macrumors newbie

stoked about this case. Not sure how he gets the sockets to collapse all the way to where they're flush with the case, but I guess having Speck on board helped with that:)

7. white4s macrumors 65816

look how thick the back is, thats how. if you look at the camera opening you see like a half inch of case

8. artyweld macrumors newbie

I dunno...it's looking pretty good to me. Especially considering what it does. Just bought a couple, so we shall see I guess.

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

That is awesome. I'm pretty sure that guy got most of his pledges within the first 30 seconds of the video.

Love to see someone with a good idea getting support like this.

10. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

I think I would only buy the product just on the first 30 seconds of the video

11. mcmanusn macrumors newbie

thickness of popsockets case

Actually, if you look at the FAQ of his Kickstarter page, you'll see that his entire case--including the iPhone and a front protective lip--is just over 1/2 inch.

12. labman thread starter macrumors 604

labman

I ended up doing the two on order or $60 he got fully backed in 5 days. he has also been tweaking the design so the sockets collapse better.

13. labman thread starter macrumors 604

labman

thought I would add that the inventor today sent out a msg that he and Case-Mate came to a agreement. So in the near future Popsockets will be handled and sold through them.

Copy of the email

Hi Everyone --

I'm happy to announce that yesterday I signed a deal with Case-Mate, one of my favorite case makers, to exclusively license the PopSockets case design. Case-Mate makes some of the coolest cases on the market, and is one of the largest case makers in the world, with an incredibly strong global distribution network. This means that, very soon, PopSockets will be in stores around the world. That's great news for PopSockets!

As soon as Case-Mate has settled on design and color options, I'll send out a survey asking you to make your choices. I hope that you'll all be happy with your cases and sockets.

I apologize for the long period of silence before this update. It was due to a number of unexpected delays in getting this agreement signed with Case-Mate. Hereafter, I'll keep you posted with regular updates as to the progress with Case-Mate and when you can expect to have some PopSockets in your hands. Unfortunately, it will not be in March. Hopefully I can give you a timeline in the next 10 days or so.

Thanks again for your support!

David

14. troop231 macrumors 603

Wow! I bet that inventor is a millionaire now :)