Popsockets - ordered these, anyone use them?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mhoepfin, Dec 16, 2014.

1. mhoepfin macrumors regular

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

3. mhoepfin thread starter macrumors regular

4. mhoepfin thread starter macrumors regular

Got them in and they are completely awesome. Totally changes the way I use my 6+.

Such an ingenious idea that I'm surprised there isn't more buzz about them. Need to order more because everyone of my friends and family wants them now.

5. wxman2003 Suspended

To each their own. They look ugly to me and makes the back of the phone look like it has toilet plungers on it.

6. mhoepfin thread starter macrumors regular

Lol on the 6+ it looks pretty small, plus I only use one rather than two. Also mine is black and white. When not in use it collapses down to be really thin.

Anyway, totally great for me and makes it easy to use my phone for long periods of time.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I'm sure they look goofy...I simply don't care. Function trumps form for me in some things, especially for something that makes my device easier to use or more versatile. I can see where they'd be helpful for taking photos with the iPhone 6, as a sort of kickstand, and for holding my iPad mini sometimes.

Thanks for the report! Are you using them stuck to a case, or directly to the phone? And how easy are they to remove?

8. mhoepfin thread starter macrumors regular

I don't use a case and have them stuck to the 6+ directly. My daughter has one stuck to a Tech21 case on her iPhone 5.

You can easily remove and reapply it, does not lose any sticky. Instructions say if it does lose some sticky to just wash it off and it will be back to new.

It's now the 3rd day with it and I can't imagine not having it. Went shopping and had a shopping list and was able to walk around the store without a worry about dropping my phone. Also gives me a little ridge when collapsed and in my pocket to grab onto. When extended makes it very comfortable to use the phone for a long time without having to constantly jockey for a comfortable position.

Trust me on this.. If you get it you will be hooked.

9. subzero123 macrumors member

Just ordered. Thanks for the review.

10. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

My set arrived this morning, and I'm playing with them a bit now. While I can see where they'll be useful at times, I'm not likely to keep them on any of my devices full time. I just find them pretty uncomfortable in actual use. I tried them on both the iPhone 6 and the retina Mini; they stick well, remove fairly easily, pop up and down just fine. But they're rough on my fingers and a bit oddly sized for comfort; I have long, narrow fingers and they still feel like they just barely fit under the raised top of the PopSockets. Having one between my fingers irritates them surprisingly quickly. And I'm not fond of how deep they are when collapsed; they still stick out by a fair amount when closed.

They're excellent for stabilizing the phone for taking pictures though. I think on days when that's the phone's primary use, I'll have at least one PopSocket on there to make that task much easier!

11. mhoepfin, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

mhoepfin thread starter macrumors regular

A couple pictures of how I use mine. Bent with just a bit of my knuckle on the rubber part and my index finger on the plastic part. Wife cut some vinyl to put my initials on it :)

Attached Files:

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Gotta love the initials, that's great! :D

I'm going to mess about with the one on the phone for a couple of days, give it a decent test run. But even if I ultimately decide not to use them full time, they're still a good thing to have for photos.

13. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

Off topic: Great work by your wife! Thats the work of an artist

14. mhoepfin thread starter macrumors regular

Ha thanks, I'll tell her! Actually she has a vinyl cutting machine so between the software and hardware it takes care of the accuracy. She can (and does) put vinyl on anything.

15. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

Thats cool! I myself wanted an engraving machine when I was a kid, claiming I had too many Apple devices needing to have my name engraved. My dad obviously vetoed against it knowing how creative kids can get!

16. cameracovers macrumors newbie

17. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

I got one of these lately. Makes typing a bit harder as you need to get used to it, but if you surf a lot, it's a no brainer.