MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular photo taking app Halide Camera was today updated to version 1.8, introducing several major new features, like an Apple Watch companion app, new Accessibility options, and a self-timer.

Halide for Apple Watch is designed to complement the Halide app on the iPhone, offering access to tools for framing shots, setting timers, and triggering the camera shutter on the iPhone for hands-free photos.

halideapplewatch-800x691.jpg

Halide says the Apple Watch app has been designed to be "blazing fast," and like the official Apple Watch camera app that accompanies the built-in iPhone camera, the Halide app on Apple Watch offers real-time previews so you can see what you're shooting right on your wrist.

While the new Apple Watch app has a timer mode, if you don't have an Apple Watch, you can now access a timer mode within the Halide app on iPhone. You can set a timer for 3, 10, or 30 seconds, and when the timer is active, the shutter button stays depressed and offers up a countdown so you can see how much longer you have until a photo is taken. When used for rear camera shots, the iPhone flash is able to show the progress of the timer.

In addition to these significant new features, Halide 1.8 offers a revamped photo reviewer with a grid-style view that lets Halide users scroll through a grid of shots while also being able to go back to the camera view with a simple flick gesture.

Other improvements in the new version of Halide include support for Dynamic and Bold Type and VoiceOver support for Accessibility purposes, plus enhancements to privacy. In Halide 1.8, you'll find a new top-level location toggle that lets you turn off the feature that embeds your location information in each and every photo. There are also options to limit location sharing with Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp.

Finally, Halide 1.8 brings under-the-hood bug fixes, enhancement, and overall "polish" for a faster, more streamlined photo-taking experrience.

Halide Camera can be downloaded from the App Store for $5.99, and the update is free for customers who have previously purchased Halide. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popular Camera App 'Halide' Gains Apple Watch App, Self-Timer and More

rti92391

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Look....I love the app too, but this has GOT to be marked as advertising. It is blatant.

Reactions: Janschi
Comment

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Is Halide genuinely worth buying/using?

Or is it one of those apps that promise a lot, aren’t bad per se, but make you realise Apple’s wisdom in simplicity?

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN
Comment

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Our actions define our legacy
I bought this app and intended to use it instead of the native camera app. However I found it was unreliable (crashed occasionally, which isn’t very useful in those quick moments)on my iPhone X.

Also I’ve never found real time previews of the camera to be helpful on the AW, the screen is too small/too low resolution to notice important details. Does anyone use this?

Comment

folp02

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
Is Halide genuinely worth buying/using?

Or is it one of those apps that promise a lot, aren’t bad per se, but make you realise Apple’s wisdom in simplicity?

Yes, it is worth buying and using. I’ve bought photo/camera apps in the past and always went back to the native iPhone camera. But no longer, this has been my go to camera for the last few months.

Comment

rti92391

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
The article is describing a significant update to a popular iPhone photo app. What's the problem? If you have no interest in the app then you don't have to read it, let alone post a negative forum comment.

I get that...however, this is blatantly an advertisement. It should be marked as such. Readers can tell the difference in an ad and an actual story. The verbiage reads like a copy/paste from a company announcement. They should label this as “Sponsored” like respectable reporters.

Comment

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California
I get that...however, this is blatantly an advertisement. It should be marked as such. Readers can tell the difference in an ad and an actual story. The verbiage reads like a copy/paste from a company announcement. They should label this as “Sponsored” like respectable reporters.

FYI, this is not an advertisement. Just sharing the news on the update. It is in no way sponsored, and we received no money for posting it. Extra FYI: We don't do sponsored posts at all.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Reporters get access to products and services for free very commonly ('review copies'). This can subconsciously bias them but everybody knows this and can mentally adjust for that. Reporters also get press releases and other promotional material. Sometimes rewriting the information in them let's them stick a bit too closely to the original text, if only by repeating the same narrative in their own words.

In none of these cases do reporters receive money or lie to the readers about it. If you wonder why somebody reports on something, good faith your part should make you assume that it was simply a case of the reporter getting access to the product for free. If you think an article sticks to close to a press release, good faith on your part should make you assume that it was simply a case of the reporter relying to much on the press material she or he received.

Comment

toke lahti

macrumors 68030
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Few days ago I tried to shoot some rapidly moving kids. The lag in iP6, iOS11 & apple's own camera app was staggering!
Anybody seen any comparisons of lag between these camera apps and older phones?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.