Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Game emulator Delta has made a splash on iPhone following Apple's recently announced App Store support for retro game emulators, and now the developer Riley Testut has confirmed that Delta is almost ready for its iPad debut.

In a post shared on Threads over the weekend, Testut said the iPad version is "near completion," with just controller skins to finish and some bug fixes to iron out.

Testut explained that Delta for iPad had not originally been a development priority because the plan was to limit the emulator's launch to the EU via alternative app marketplace AltStore PAL, which doesn't support iPad.

However, in a reversal of a years-old policy, Apple earlier this month announced that it would allow retro game emulators on the ‌App Store‌. Delta was therefore made available on the App Store as a [url="http://

Article Link: Popular Delta Retro Game Emulator Coming to iPad

Reactions: HailstormX

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Developers: Apple is taking to much money it’s unfair.

Apple: Fine take payment yourself and we’ll allow side loading

Developers: People are stealing our apps and side loading for free

Apple: What did you think would happen, enjoy

I’m using Delta and sadly I’ve installed a bunch of rom for games I’ve never owned.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Saying as Altstore PAL is currently iPhone-only (at the second of writing), will Delta for iPad be available in the normal AppStore in the EU?

jb310

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2017
I wonder if using an emulator on a phone or iPad is a better user experience than just buying a dirt-cheap hardware emulator from Amazon that already has a bunch of games pre-loaded? 🤔

amber2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: RRmalvado

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
cool, now that 90% of all iOS pro-sideloading people can now do the one thing they wanted to sideload for (playing illegal roms), we can drop this sideloading issue in USA.
True—but maybe its more like 50%—the other half is being able to buy Kindle books inside the Amazon/Kindle app.

In the US, Apple has 61% market control of smartphones. Imagine if Microsoft didn't allow PCs to install applications they didn't get 30% of, how totalitarian that would be. If Apple truly cared about digital safety, they would allow app devs to sell in-app media without taking a 30% cut. Maybe bring it down to 5% and its a win-win for everybody—Apple, the app developer, and the iOS user. A 30% share is just absolutely stupid for some business models.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I wonder if using an emulator on a phone or iPad is a better user experience than just buying a dirt-cheap hardware emulator from Amazon that already has a bunch of games pre-loaded? 🤔

View attachment 2372979
No, it’s not better than hardware because the developers behind Delta could always decide NOT to do this and you’re left with a dead app which may or may not work on new hardware. Plus, buttons on a screen (or on a separate controller) will never beat buttons on device. :)

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

View attachment 2372979

I think we know the answer is handheld hardware emulators.

But for casual gamers, who play once in a blue moon, this free software emulation fits the bill.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022

View attachment 2372979

Those pirate console things selling from China are loaded with malware and buggy software. You will see hundreds of preloaded weird games called Mario Pants, Mario Unicorn, Mario Great, etc.

If you buy that crap you have to do a clean Android install and then find your own Roms.

Never use your personal email accounts on them. Use a burner account.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Developers: Apple is taking to much money it’s unfair.

Apple: Fine take payment yourself and we’ll allow side loading

Developers: People are stealing our apps and side loading for free

Apple: What did you think would happen, enjoy

I’m using Delta and sadly I’ve installed a bunch of rom for games I’ve never owned.
There are folks in the EU sideloading Delta because they don’t want to pay the AltStore fee. :D

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
True—but maybe its more like 50%—the other half is being able to buy Kindle books inside the Amazon/Kindle app.

In the US, Apple has 61% market control of smartphones. Imagine if Microsoft didn't allow PCs to install applications they didn't get 30% of, how totalitarian that would be. If Apple truly cared about digital safety, they would allow app devs to sell in-app media without taking a 30% cut. Maybe bring it down to 5% and its a win-win for everybody—Apple, the app developer, and the iOS user. A 30% share is just absolutely stupid for some business models.

All you typed was codswallop. You don’t know anything about business.

Consoles are the most closed systems that exist and they have a big duopoly. Lawmakers didn’t try to open those up to side loading because there’s no benefit. They want to crack open your phones to get that juicy data and scam you.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
It would be great if they added keyboard support to the iPad version for those who have attached keyboard cases or Bluetooth keyboards. On screen controls are rarely as good as physical buttons (and I've gotten so used to playing platformer games with a keyboard that using an actual controller seems weird to me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.