Popular iOS Apps Now Free or Discounted for the Holidays

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Each year during the holidays, app developers offer deals on a wide variety of apps and games, giving customers a chance to purchase popular content at a significant discount. This year is no exception, with a slew of fantastic apps and games available at low prices.

Our sister site AppShopper tracks prices in real-time and is a great resource to use to keep an eye on app sales during the holiday. We've also listed some of the best deals on apps below:

- Fantastical 2 for iPhone ($1.99, down from $3.99): Popular calendar app, at its lowest price ever [Direct Link]
- Fantastical for Mac ($9.99, down from $19.99): Popular Mac calendar app that syncs with Fantastical 2 for iPhone [Direct Link]
- djay 2 ($4.99, down from $9.99): Popular DJ iPad app [Direct Link]
- vjay (Free, down from $9.99): Video and music remixing app [Direct Link]

- Inspire Pro (Free, down from $4.99): App for drawing and sketching [Direct Link]
- ArtRage ($2.99, down from $4.99): Popular iPad painting app [Direct Link]
- ReadKit ($2.99, down from $6.99): Read-it-later/RSS app for the Mac [Direct Link]

Along with the apps listed above, several developers have teamed up to offer an App Santa promotion, offering discounts of up to 60 percent off apps like Twitter client Tweetbot, scanning app Scanner Pro, package tracking app Delivery Status Touch, password management app 1Password, and note taking app Vesper.

A forum member on our sister site TouchArcade has aggregated an extensive list of all the games on sale. Multiple studios, including Electronic Arts, Taito, CAPCOM, Square Enix, and Warner Bros. are offering deep discounts on their entire game catalogs. We've listed some of the more notable sales below:

- Angry Birds Star Wars II (Free, down from $0.99) [Direct Link]
- LostWinds (Free, down from $3.99) [Direct Link]
- Infinity Blade III ($2.99, down from $6.99) [Direct Link]
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown ($9.99, down from $19.99) [Direct Link]
- Final Fantasy V ($7.99, down from $15.99) [Direct Link]
- Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 ($0.99, down from $4.99) [Direct Link]
- Bastion ($0.99, down from $4.99) [Direct Link]
- Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga ($9.99 Full Unlock, down from $14.99) [Direct Link]
- Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic ($4.99, down from $9.99) [Direct Link]
- The World Ends With You: Solo Remix HD ($8.99/9.99, down from $17.99/$19.99) [Direct Link: iPhone/iPad]

Discount pricing on many of these apps will be in place for at least a week, as Apple will shut down iTunes Connect from December 21 to December 27, preventing developers from implementing app changes. For more sales, check out AppShopper's price drop section.

Article Link: Popular iOS Apps Now Free or Discounted for the Holidays

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Worth mentioning that Knights of the Old Republic is now a Universal app. Seems to play pretty well on my 5S, although I haven't transferred my iPad saves or spent all that long at it.

This is why I didn't buy IB3 until this time. I've been waiting.
Same here!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Since it's going to be up until the 24th, I'm going to wait until maybe I get an iTunes gift card. ;)

Going to finally pick up Infinity Blade III and then Bastion which I already have for Mac. Maybe Fantastical 2 too. Fieldrunners for iPad, Animation Desk is also on that extended list. :D

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Just got all free ones, like I always do. (despite not having an iOS device) :cool:

They'll come in handy some day.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Finally upgraded Tweetbot. Still think it was unfair for the users who bought the Tweetbot in past had to pay for upgraded version. It should be free upgrade if purchase an app

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
How long was The Elements free? The app store page says it's free and this story is only 3 hours old but it says $13.99 right now.

If it really expired that fast this feels more like a publicity stunt to me.

Edit: Went back to app's own website and clicked "buy now" iTunes reloaded the store page and it says Free now, but when I try and get it I'm still prompted on whether I really want to BUY it or not, and this right after downloading Inspire Pro with no issues.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
How long was The Elements free? The app store page says it's free and this story is only 3 hours old but it says $13.99 right now.

If it really expired that fast this feels more like a publicity stunt to me.
I'm very disappointed if I missed out.

darkslide29

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I might pick up Infinity Blade 3 because I just got my new iPad with that fancy schmancy A7 chip.
Is it still considered to be THE visually appealing game that shows off the power of the latest processors? Or should I be looking at something else?

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I'm very disappointed if I missed out.
I can't tell if it's really free right now or not. If you click the link here on the MR story it says $13.99, but if you use the "Buy Now" link on the creator's website it says Free -- I've gone back and forth twice now.

But neither one seems to actually let you get the app for free.

dysamoria

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2011
I can't tell if it's really free right now or not. If you click the link here on the MR story it says $13.99, but if you use the "Buy Now" link on the creator's website it says Free -- I've gone back and forth twice now.

Same here. Frustrating. Oh well.

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008

I tried both the developer's site and the App Store -- $13.99 either way.

Then I checked the AppShopper site. The one-day price drop was for Dec-19, and today is Dec-20.

Drat, that was a rare bargain.

gwbandrew

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2013
I tried both the developer's site and the App Store -- $13.99 either way.

Then I checked the AppShopper site. The one-day price drop was for Dec-19, and today is Dec-20.

Drat, that was a rare bargain.
According to their blog (http://www.touchpress.com/blog/), it was free all day on Friday, December 20th. However, it seems that the time/day for it to be free is based on their HQ location. Technically in London (where they're located) it's already Saturday, December 21st.

Kinda deceptive if you ask me.

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Oh for F SAKE looks like I missed the Elements app!

Is it free only for 1 day or what? I've just back from work .. Was looking at this news and jump off immediately accessed the AppStore. It said Free but it won't let me download with the message that this item is being modified. Now it's $13.99 again.

F F F F!

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I might pick up Infinity Blade 3 because I just got my new iPad with that fancy schmancy A7 chip.
Is it still considered to be THE visually appealing game that shows off the power of the latest processors? Or should I be looking at something else?
I'm confused, did you buy the iPad to personally enjoy or are you trying to be a free advertiser for Apple?

According to their blog (http://www.touchpress.com/blog/), it was free all day on Friday, December 20th. However, it seems that the time/day for it to be free is based on their HQ location. Technically in London (where they're located) it's already Saturday, December 21st.

Kinda deceptive if you ask me.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense as far as why it happened, but with the global nature of the Internet the App Store not running deals according to local time of the purchaser seems wrong.

Some fact-checking by a certain website would have helped avoid confusion, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.