MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular camera app Darkroom was today updated to introduce Universal App support, which means that the newest version of Darkroom works on iPhones, iPads, and Macs. It is compatible with Apple's upcoming M1 Macs and Intel Macs that are running macOS Big Sur.

darkroomformac.jpg

On the Mac, Darkroom offers up editing tools that have been optimized for a Mac experience and designed with the macOS Big Sur aesthetic. There's a translucent sidebar and native window toolbars, and interactions have been optimized for mouse, trackpad, and keyboard input.

Using Darkroom on Mac requires a Darkroom+ subscription, which is priced at $3.99 per month or $19.99 per year and provides access to Darkroom on all platforms. There's also an option to pay $49.99 to unlock the app forever. Darkroom+ includes video editing, curves and selective color tools, watermarking, and more.

Darkroom for Mac and iOS can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popular iOS Camera App Darkroom Expands to Macs With Universal App Support

Joseph C

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2013
A lovely job. Darkroom's really blossomed over the years and it was really nice of them to give a lifetime subscription to their early adopter customers.

I believe this is a Catalyst job and it's really smooth.

Reactions: ikir

bnnny

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
San Francisco
I work on their localizations into other languages and I can confirm they are such great developers that really care about the Mac, iOS -- everything. The attention to detail is extraordinary, and they are always the first of our clients to incorporate the latest Apple technologies. If you hear about something cool from Apple at WWDC, it's there in Darkroom on public release day of the OS. Just amazing.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
" It is compatible with Apple's upcoming M1 Macs and Intel Macs that are running macOS Big Sur."
I think someone in the board was saying some dumb guy on the verge was saying that it would take 3-5 years to get M1 apps. If the developers are using xcode (and most do) based on the dev videos I've seen looks pretty straight forward

Last edited:

sohilpandya

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2013
London
Super excited about where this goes.

currently, it has access to your photos, hopefully, they add the ability to view/edit off of a drive/folders outside of the photos ecosystem.

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I am just glad they have a "forever" option. Subscriptions are just not my cup of tea.

When I go to the link in the Mac App store when running 10.15.7, it says it will run on this mac. I am not sure if it is smart enough to check if it needs 11.0.1 or not - I am guessing that it is not that smart and knows it can run on this Mac, IF the OS is upgraded.

freediverx00

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2020
Super excited about where this goes.

currently, it has access to your photos, hopefully, they add the ability to view/edit off of a drive/folders outside of the photos ecosystem.

As much as I like Darkroom, I find it frustrating that it lacks a feature as essential as white balance... as well as Lightroom features such as Dehaze, Clarity, and Color Grading.

Reactions: sohilpandya

freediverx00

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2020
I think for a lot of users this could be a viable Aperture replacement. looks well done.

Umm, how? Aperture was a digital asset manager. Darkroom has no such capabilities, limited only to editing features. And on that note, it lacks various key features found in Lightroom. (and I say this as someone who hates Adobe.)

zapzoup

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2016
I work on their localizations into other languages and I can confirm they are such great developers that really care about the Mac, iOS -- everything. The attention to detail is extraordinary, and they are always the first of our clients to incorporate the latest Apple technologies. If you hear about something cool from Apple at WWDC, it's there in Darkroom on public release day of the OS. Just amazing.
Slightly off topic but fellow translator here! I’m back in grad school and looking to get into localization when I graduate next year. I’m very curious about your work, do you work directly with Darkroom or with a language services agency? I’m trying to get a feel for the field.

xmacvicar

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
How does this differ from the native Photos app? Looks like the tool set is quite similar?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I’m really curious to see how Darkroom will stack up against Lightroom. Especially after it’s had some time on the Mac platform. I can see a lot of amateur and hobbyists dropping the pricier Lightroom in favor of this.
How does this compare to Pixelmator Photo?

I never need a computer at home (except for the past 5 months due to COVID...) and am trying to go iPad-only, and also ditch Lightroom.

I’m using RAW Power, which I find just OK editing-wise. Not really a DAM, so I still import into Photos, and edit in RAW Power (Photos sees the edits non-destructively).

ch1ptune

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
Seems nice, but doesn’t run as smoothly as the native Photos app. Zooming in and out when editing a photo seems laggy. At least on my MPB 13 2019 base model. Hopefully they’ll fix this in a later version.

One clear advantage over the native Photos app is batch editing, i.e. applying edits to multiple photos at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.