Popular iPhone/Firmware combinations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dave4787, May 18, 2011.

1. dave4787 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

First time i have posted on here so apologies for any repetition....

I currently work within an IT based team that has recently started looking into testing our companies iPhone applications. As we are wanting to replicate the user experience as much as possible, i was wondering if anyone knows of a website or service where i can obtain the usage of different iPhone devices/firmware versions in the UK, to see what most users are using?

Looking forward to your responses....

2. iFiend macrumors 65816

Hi Dave.

I understand the reason why you want this information but I do not think it will be very helpful to you. I think a lot (most?) people, at least that are not jailbroken, update their devices regularly. So the most current firmware is a safe bet. I would also think that most people are on 4.something so that would be a good reference. Most apps in the appstore require you to have at least 4.0 these days.

3. dave4787 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi,

thanks for the response. I understand that most people do keep there iPhones up to date (i know i do), however it's more the numbers of people that use other devices to the 4, and if they use the most up to date firmware?

I know from previous tests i have undertaken, a 3G using iOS 4.2.1 runs extremely slow (or at least our test phone did!), so i can't see this being popular. We have a selection of kit with various firmware versions but i would like to make sure we are testing on combinations that are actually used. For example we have another 3G using iOS 4.1; does anyone use this? It would be good to see what is popular to make sure we are not wasting our time, but at the same time ensuring we are covering the largest part of our customer base.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The 2G maxes out at 3.1.3, and the 3G at 4.2.1. The 3Gs and 4 are on 4.3.3 right now I believe.

for reference, my iPhone 3Gs (8GB, Black. The one I use regularly) is running 4.2.1. I chose not to upgrade.

5. ikaveh macrumors regular

I also have a 3g besides 4. I keep it on 3.1.3 and i think its the most popular ios for 3g. ios 4 and later ones are annoyingly slow on 3g, esp if you are jailbroken!

6. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I don't think this is true. A lot of people I know never connect their iphone/ipad to itunes, therefore do not update.