Popular Mechanics MBP Article

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmstrong, Mar 9, 2009.

1. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

the writer complains the lower edge of the laptop is too sharp because he types incorrectly. -raising palm to forehead-

2. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

I also wondered that myself

because I know the first generation macbook's (plastic ones) had that terrible edge. I just assumed the new macbooks and macbook pro's were rounded off? That sucks. Now I appreciate my first generation Macbook pro even more! :p

3. Colin20 macrumors regular

I haven't heard a complaint about the unibody notebooks like this yet. Does anybody here feel this is a problem for them?

4. L0s7man macrumors 6502

If you live in US, just cut your wrists and accuse Apple of trying to kill you and sue them for damages ;-)

Bazillion dollars should be enough for the pain and emotional scars and everlasting fear of mobile computers...

5. TheLordsServant macrumors member

While I do not personally own a new Unibody Macbook Pro, I used one for about a half hour at the Apple Store near me, and it didn't bother me at all. I haven't heard anyone else complain about it either, so perhaps the author of that article, as he basically admits, has an incorrect typing posture.

6. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

Yes being a lazy sloth and not having the strength to hold your arms/wrists up is obviously Apple's design flaw... o_O Not sure I would say "sharp" but the edge is not rounded over. I find it to be a good scratching post :p but doubt I'll be bleeding from it anytime soon.

Razor sharp is a bit over the edge (no pun intended) but it is a magazine trying to get attention.

8. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

i have a unibody mbp and dont have this problem. the edge isn't sharp i think the guy is just being over dramatic.

9. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

The guy who wrote the article must have fat wrists.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

I have to agree that sharp edges where imperfect humans *might* rest their palms is stupid, just as the inflexible angle of the display in the previous models was stupid. As was the ridiculously sharp edges of the old macbooks. Unlike when it designed the Powerbook G3 "Pismo" Apple is no longer a company that cares much about ergonomics, especially not if ergonomics somehow ruins the sleekness or sharp lines of the machine.

Apple makes stupid decisions because Apple fans always defend them, no matter how counter-user comfort the decisions are (edges, display angle, extreme glossy screens, stiff trackpad buttons etc). Why would anybody defend this decision when Apple could have just as easily designed it in a more ergonomic manner? Again, I recognise the tremendous progress in computing that has occurred since the PB G3 Pismo days, but that computer was the most comfortable and user-friendly laptop I've ever used.

11. 7even macrumors 6502a

At work I have a wristrest and that's good enough both for proper typing posture and for comfort. I do wish the edges were a tad less sharp, but it's not a huge deal.

PDE: They do make user-friendly decisions, such as the magsafe, having all the ports on one side, the battery meter relocated to the side of the laptop, the latch-less lid, etc. so there must be a bit of logic behind other things too (though probably not the edges)...

12. PDE macrumors 68020

You're right and I was perhaps exaggerating. I guess I was thinking of work comfort more than general access/usability things like the magsafe, battery meter, latchless lid. I love those features and appreciate them but although they make my computer usage more pleasant, they don't really do anything for my work ergonomics. I'm not sure what can be done, but less sharp edges would be a start. There used to be Siemens laptop that had a wireless detachable keyboard and I think that would be nice, as would a screen that can be raised and lowered, but that is probably not in the immediate future.

13. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

This kind of garbage made it onto Popular Mechanics' website:
    Of course this is nonsense. Popular Mechanics' credibility just took a nose dive.

14. johnnj macrumors 6502a

The edges never bothed me and I'm a pretty lazy typist. The only thing with me is that if I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt my metal watchband on the aluminum case is a bit of a drag.

However, I blame this on a design problem with my watch and not the laptop.

I shall now commence to starting an internet flame war against Luminox and their inferior products!

15. xoggyux macrumors 6502

though apple could have have make it a bit round i think he being XTRA exaggerated, when you using your laptop as a desktop chances are you get a full size more comfortable keyboard, in the other hand when you are on the run, there is no way (at least I) someone could possible type in such a position that persons hands touches the edge. I got the old MBP (mids 2008) so I dont know how sharp is the new one, however I dont even let my hands touch the body to avoid any kind of damage to the aluminum (such as sweat, skin oils, etc) so there you go.. you'd need to have a nail for a brain to be able to damage your hands with a MBA, also is the first time in months I heard something that weird...
    Again If i had the choice I'd prefer apple to make them just a bit rounded since I think that "sharp" edge will be easily to bend (kind of the small tiny dents on a dull knife) but it is not life treating not it will cut your veins....

16. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

I cracked up when I read this part of the article...
    "
    The MacBook Pro's flawed design is all the more remarkable when one considers that it comes from Apple—a company known for its ergonomics and forward-thinking designs. "

When has Apple been known for its ergononics?? Remember the hockey puck for a mouse and even the mighty mouse is crap!

17. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I think they were reffering more to the iPod's (classic type) wheel control, or the laptops touchpad with gestures and multitouch and in general for its simplystic (almost rectangular-like) kind of design which is usually very comfortable. In apple's defense, in the past 10years every new mouse I get is worse than the one before (I kind of miss ball mouse), inpressice, and for some reason companies such as logitech keep adding curves and holes supposedly because this is more ergonomic and the worse thing is that people cannot use those mouses with their left hand (im right-handed but I sometimes like to switch) so yeah... ergonomics...

18. applevik macrumors member

"feel like a blade"... wow... I have been typing on my MBP17 for the past 5 hours now on a paper and have no red lines on my wrists or arms at all. Sure, it's not the most ergonomic setup, but saying it felt like a blade is just ridiculous.