Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Atypical Games' popular iOS game Radiation Island is available on the Mac App Store as of today. First launched for the iPad and iPhone January of this year, Radiation Island earned itself thousands of downloads and rave reviews from the iOS gaming community.

Positioned as an open world survival game, Radiation Island transports players to a mysterious island where they must battle radioactive undead, scavenge for food, build shelters, and find treasures, all while looking for a way to solve the puzzle of the island to escape and return to the real world.

Players will need to hunt down resources to cook food, build weapons, and craft tools, which are necessary to survive the hordes of undead and dangerous forest animals during the ongoing day/night cycle. There are also abandoned villages and military compounds to explore to uncover the island's secrets.

Follow your own path in an environment of breathtaking beauty and gigantic scope. Explore huge forests inhabited by dangerous wolves, bears and mountain lions. Investigate abandoned villages and old military compounds where zombies guard vital tools, weapons and clues to the secrets of this world. You can even swim and dive, if you can avoid the hungry crocodiles.

Hunt wild animals, fish or gather fruits to overcome hunger. Mine for resources and craft weapons, tools and basic vehicles. Find hidden treasures, equipment and fire arms to prevail in a world full of perils: radiation, anomalies, harsh weather and enraged zombies.
Our sister site TouchArcade reviewed the iOS version of Radiation Island when it came out, finding it visually stunning and a "stupid value" with a lot of replay potential. "It's a massive, and immensely enjoyable experience."

Radiation Island for Mac can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $2.99. [Direct Link]

Radiation Island for the iPad can be downloaded from the App Store for $2.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popular Open-World Survival Game 'Radiation Island' Now Available on Mac

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
You'd think that now with the larger iPhone screen sizes, some of these traditionally Mac and iPad-based releases could start getting ported directly to the iP6/6+. What's the harm?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I SO want this to be good for the Mac. Will it be 4x3 Aspect Ratio like on the iPad or 16x9 like on modern Mac displays?

Will they update the graphics for the larger screens of Macs?

Enquiring minds...:)

PCsmooth

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2014
In case you find the thought of spending your time picking up rocks and sticks to fight with the occasional zombie as well as wolves, this really is the game for you.

Should you enjoy casual, low-action games, this one is likely rather a deal overly stressful for you.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
You'd think that now with the larger iPhone screen sizes, some of these traditionally Mac and iPad-based releases could start getting ported directly to the iP6/6+. What's the harm?

there's no 'harm' in it, just takes many, many more man-hours to do. can't just snap your fingers and have an i6 version. they've done a lot of the work to make the iPad version, so maybe an i6v is coming. maybe they feel it isn't in their best interest releasing for under tablet dimensions(?). tons of factors

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
there's no 'harm' in it, just takes many, many more man-hours to do. can't just snap your fingers and have an i6 version. they've done a lot of the work to make the iPad version, so maybe an i6v is coming. maybe they feel it isn't in their best interest releasing for under tablet dimensions(?). tons of factors

Certainly not suggesting it be done at the snap of one's fingers as it's obvious there's a ton of planning and costs that go into various sizes/ports of an app. Just figured that the larger-screened iP6/+ is a viable platform now that can be equally considered alongside traditional iPad-only apps. If you judge the iP6/+ sales numbers alone, there's even greater argument for devs to begin equally supporting this device based on a much higher projected ROI alone.

Last edited:

corvustheraven

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Maryland, USA
I'll try this. Open-world games are the best. I still play Morrowing on Mac, ported using Cider, and Oblivion and Skyrim have run pretty well on my MacBook Pro as well.

Though, I still think Age of Empires 2 is one of my all-time favorites, and I still play it occasionally on my G5 iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.