Popular Photo Editing App 'Darkroom' Expands to the iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular iPhone photo editing app Darkroom is today expanding to the iPad, marking the app's biggest update since its 2015 launch.

Darkroom has been rebuilt from the ground up to add support for the iPad, which means there are app-wide refinements, improvements, and optimizations. The new interface works with all iOS devices in every orientation.

[​IMG]

The app now supports Portrait, Portrait-Wide, and Landscape orientations on iOS devices, and it has been optimized to choose the best layout for each device and each size for a consistent editing experience.

On devices where Darkroom is used in landscape orientation, Albums are available at the top level of the library next to photos for quicker album access.

Also new to the landscape layout is a photo strip, making it easier to navigate through the photo library when editing. A long press on the photo strip will also bring up photo actions like copying edits, resetting edits, deleting photos, and more.

[​IMG]

Darkroom for iPad is designed to take advantage of all of the iPad's features, ranging from split-screen multitasking to keyboard shortcuts to the larger display.

Along with iPad support, the update also adds a color histogram for visualizing the colors present in an image and how the sliders are interacting with those colors, and there's integration with the Moment Pro camera.

Other improvements include value labels on sliders, tweaks to filter strength adjustments, right to left language support, and undo and redo gestures.

Darkroom for iPad and iPhone can be downloaded from the App Store for free, but in-app purchases are required to unlock the full functionality. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popular Photo Editing App 'Darkroom' Expands to the iPad

2. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I'm curious that if you made in-app purchase on the iPhone if that translates over to the iPad version.

But regardless, I love Darkroom. It's by far my favorite photo editing app on iPhone. I'm definitely going to try it out on iPad.

3. legacyb4 macrumors 6502a

Sweet; been waiting for this since I got my 11!

4. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Glad that Adobe will see some more competition. That being said, I don't mind paying a subscription for Lightroom, especially since it syncs my photos from desktop. It works really well and they've added a lot of features to the iPad version over the past couple years to where it's nearly as robust as the desktop version and the desktop version has had a lot of optimizations to improve performance. For now I am happy with Adobe, but will keep my eye on this.

5. Donka macrumors 68030

Donka

Really liking this app on the iPad, the interface works really well. It really needs a repair tool at the least though to be a one stop shop for editing. Ideally also noise reduction and local adjustments. Until then I couldn’t consider a purchase. A shame because it has a lot of nice qualities.

6. Jedwardoo macrumors newbie

Jedwardoo

Do you have any iPad Pro apps that you recommend for doing calligraphy on it?

7. nicho macrumors 68020

it does.

8. Jedwardoo macrumors newbie

Jedwardoo

I have tried buying an iPad app which translated to my iPhone.