Popular Weather App 'Dark Sky' Gains Dark Mode

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

I don't feel it kills me too badly. This is one of the main appeals of Dark Sky -- you get very timely reports on rain and other conditions starting/stopping wherever you are located. It's pretty much spot-on, I find. Weirdly so. And again, my battery life is pretty good with it running in background always. This is an iPhone X with original battery purchased when they were released.

2. ericg301 macrumors 65816

dark sky could have done something really good and inventive with their UI. something forward-thinking that matches their brand. but it's gone downhill ever since they redesigned it back in the fall.

3. unfunfionn macrumors newbie

I really like Hello Weather but it displays too little information for me. I like a simple UI that still allows you to go deeper if you need to. I'm probably still happiest with Weather Pro. Just not sure how good it is outside Germany.

4. kuwxman macrumors 6502a

kuwxman

Hate to burst your weather bubble, but the app isn’t all that accurate.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2019 ---
    Yep. Dark Sky and similar apps that use the same API look nice but they’re not actually very good weather apps.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Are you staying that n/c it isn’t for you, it isn’t at all, or do you have empirical data that says as much, wx man?

6. kuwxman macrumors 6502a

kuwxman

It isn’t some secret. All you have to do is Google ‘Dark Sky accuracy’ to see the complaints. You can also use https://www.forecastadvisor.com/ to see where it stacks (or doesn’t) against similar apps. For my location, it has a less than 70% accuracy...aka not good.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes, I use FA as well, and so I know DS isn’t the best for my area, but was hoping you’d have something more substantial to undergird your opinions.

Also, just as a point of interest, while DS had 76% accuracy in my area last month, the top spot was only 5% more accurate.

8. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

prefer hello weather ui which also uses dark sky data and also has a dark mode

9. Futurix macrumors 6502

Futurix

It is just as good in the UK as it is in Germany (personal experience of many years of use).
    I do find that it is a bit worse in the US - but then again, there's so many options in US that it is hard to say.

10. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

All Hello Weather needs is an AW app and push notifications and I'd be set. But it's an outstanding app.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Agreed!

12. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

Cool looking app, but the fact you have to have locations services on all the time to get weather warnings and national alerts kind of sucks. WeatherBug is the best overall weather app I've used.

13. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

Yep. The new design was a cluster duck. The old UI made it quick and easy to see the information you want and the new is scrolling and clicking all over the place. Sometimes a simple interface is the best interface.

I abandoned DS shortly after the redesign and now use a different app.

14. RemE macrumors regular

RemE

This is a welcome restoration, Dark Sky was originally dark. Then they pretty much ruined the UI when they went eye searing white. I'm glad to see dark back but did prefer pretty much the rest of the old UI's swipe to globe mode. It was the first precision weather app and has been very helpful many times over the years. AccuWeather now has precision weather as well and between the two one or the other is usually right, but neither one is consistently better in precision. AccuWeather long term forecasts seem more accurate.

15. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

and wouldn't it be just too great if the app icon could show you the temp and sun or rain, etc? I mean 2019 and all

16. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

In iOS that's essentially something that widgets are used for.

17. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

does anyone actually use those? they seem totally out of context and out of sight. if you are going to have to scroll your screen around just to see them what's the point?

18. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Use them all the time, many times each day. Easily accessible from the lock screen, home screen, or any screen really via the Notification Center.