Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular writing environment Scrivener made its long-awaited debut on iOS this morning.

For those unfamiliar with the Mac application, Scrivener is a scalable long-form writing platform and author project management system featuring multiple editing and organization tools.

Note cards, character sketches, place descriptions, and research notes are just some of the options available to writers, with import options for media, web pages, PDFs, and more also forming part of the package.

Screen-Shot-2016-07-20-at-09.15.23-800x455.jpg

As a standalone writing environment, the new Scrivener iOS app functions in much the same way, offering rich text editing with support for comments, footnotes, keywords, and so on.

Many of the features from the desktop version have also made the port, such as the Binder, Outliner, Corkboard, and Inspector, although certain features that require more screen space -- the Corkboard, for instance -- are iPad-only.

The app syncs with Scrivener for macOS (Scrivener v2.8) and Scrivener for Windows using Dropbox, or users can copy projects between devices via iTunes. As mentioned however, the iOS app also works as a standalone tool, featuring multiple manuscript compilation and print formats as well as project export options, such as ebook, ePub, and PDF.

Scrivener 2.8 for Mac is a free update for all registered users of Scrivener 2, and along with iOS support, it also includes a number of bug fixes and minor tweaks.

Scrivener for iOS was first announced back in 2011, with an early launch goal originally estimated to be "some time in 2012." When that date slipped, lead developer Keith Blount kept fans updated on the troubled development of the app, with the iOS team running into coding issues and other setbacks over the years.

Scrivener for iOS costs $19.99 and is compatible with any device running iOS 9.0 or later. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popular Writing App 'Scrivener' Now Available for iOS

Reactions: Telos101

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I'd love to write a book and have a few concepts in mind. But, looking at this app, it seems a little overwhelming. 'Where to start' has always been the problem for me. This app adds the question 'where to start with this app?' But I think I'll download it and have a go.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Thrilled by this news. Hope they eventually allow syncing via iCloud (if that's possible?).

The missing iCloud sync support it's what keeps me from buying it yet.

They have explained this on their website. iCloud's syncing structure doesn't handle package files well (a scrivener file is like a fancy folder). They said they would actively check iCloud, but until Apple makes some back-end updates, it is too unreliable.

Here's the link.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
The missing iCloud sync support it's what keeps me from buying it yet.
This really is a sore spot for me but Dropbox is free for the most part. Keith the developer can't implement iCloud because the scrivener docs are packages and not flat files. Apple is opening up iCloud a little more so eventually it will come.

Chris in DC

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
They have explained this on their website. iCloud's syncing structure doesn't handle package files well (a scrivener file is like a fancy folder). They said they would actively check iCloud, but until Apple makes some back-end updates, it is too unreliable.

Here's the link.
Thanks for the info! I can live with Dropbox, not a deal breaker.

Reactions: Traverse

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Doesn't look like an Evernote alternative.

It was never intended to be. It's a very specialized piece of software for users with specific needs. It's not for everyone and the creators acknowledge that.

This tool is not for normal notes taking, it is for serious "book,script,story,etc." writers.

The more professional alternative to Scrivener is Finaldraft.

I think that's limiting it a bit. Scrivener *can* be used for a novel, script, diary, notes, journal, etc.

Pretty much anything that lends itself well to Scrivener's core idea: to break your writing up into pieces instead of one long singular document (like a Word file). Everything else are just added features that you can utilize or ignore based on your specific needs.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
This tool is not for normal notes taking, it is for serious "book,script,story,etc." writers.

I'm not sure FinalDraft is more "professional" per se, but it's more heavily focused on screenplays while Scrivener (and Ulysses) seem more novel-focused.

I was hoping there might be a discount for Mac/PC users for this program. Both programs charge you $40-45 for their desktop/laptop counterpart, and for those users the iOS version is more of a quick extension rather than a full workspace.

But the iOS App Store, while great, is quite limited in certain respects including seller discounts. There's no way for Scrivener's creators to give a discount for Mac version purchasers, and they don't want to give away the iOS version because some will use it as a main driver.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I'm not sure FinalDraft is more "professional" per se, but it's more heavily focused on screenplays while Scrivener (and Ulysses) seem more novel-focused.

I was hoping there might be a discount for Mac/PC users for this program. Both programs charge you $40-45 for their desktop/laptop counterpart, and for those users the iOS version is more of a quick extension rather than a full workspace.

But the iOS App Store, while great, is quite limited in certain respects including seller discounts. There's no way for Scrivener's creators to give a discount for Mac version purchasers, and they don't want to give away the iOS version because some will use it as a main driver.
Could be worse. They could go the other way and have subscription only.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO

Correction, the more FOCUSED alternative is Finaldraft. Scrivener can help produce scripts for shows AND can be used to create books, reports, research projects...

This doesn't make it less "professional," this makes it more useful.

And isn't it funny that Finaldraft for iOS goes on sale the same day Scrivener is released?
[doublepost=1469018616][/doublepost]
I'd love to write a book and have a few concepts in mind. But, looking at this app, it seems a little overwhelming. 'Where to start' has always been the problem for me. This app adds the question 'where to start with this app?' But I think I'll download it and have a go.
The app (Scrivener) actually answers that question in the "How-to" that comes with it. There are also iBooks you can get on using Scrivener... and Ulysses for that matter.

Lisat78

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2015
I'm very happy with this! I do enjoy Ulysses in both iOS and OS X, but Scrivener's still my first choice. I do wish they'd done a first day discount though! It's absolutely worth the money but £15 is still £15. However, give it a couple of weeks and I'm absolutely buying this. My reasons for holding on to a Surface Pro are dropping by the day.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
I once invested in Scrivener, mainly to help with writing up a PhD thesis, but I simply found that it was more work than it was worth. It also would have taken hours (days?) to reformat its MS Word output into something presentable. In the end, I used Pages, because Word on Mac struggles with long (most?) documents. One feature missing from Pages, which is nearly unforgivable, is the inclusion of hyperlinks to access areas within the body of the text from, say, a Contents page.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Doesn't look like an Evernote alternative.
It doesn't remotely try to be.
It's much different.

Thrilled by this news. Hope they eventually allow syncing via iCloud (if that's possible?).
If Apple eventually wakes up to the many complaints from developers they had been receiving for years now then yes, Scrivener for iOS and Mac will feature iCloud support.
The dev basically said he's pretty much just waiting for Apple to revamp iCloud.

In the meantime, I'm glad Dropbox exists for things like these.
Ultimately I'd prefer non-centric syncing (Bittorrent Sync-style), but oh well...
Everyone wants to entrust someone else with their most precious data these days it seems.

Glassed Silver:mac

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
They have an excellent 500 pages manual for you to read. Start on page 1 and work your way through.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
This is a really great app on the Mac. I thoroughly recommend it for anyone needing to write multi-section documents. I use it to draft sections of manuscripts, and more recently as a lab journal. So much more flexible/useful and faster than something like Word for this task. It is really flexible and scaleable. Bringing synching with iOS can only be good news to increase the ability to make edits and to increase market exposure and development of this great little app!

Reactions: Sojourn

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Instant purchase. Been waiting years. Wrote my masters thesis on the Mac version. Will use it on my PhD dissertation in the future. Amazing product.

Reactions: Sojourn

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012

You may want to look into Ulysses (they have an iPhone/iPad version too). For me it's perfect for writing my book(s). Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.