Populating TableView

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Mvkoe, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Mvkoe macrumors member

Mvkoe

Hey

I'm just starting programming with xCode but I'm wondering. What's the best way to populate my TableView with my stuff.

Things that I need to put in:

Code:
    Thing1 (Name in TableView Cell)
    -- Things about thing 1
    -- More things about thing 1
    -- some more about 1
    Thing2
    Thing3
    Grz

2. larswik macrumors 68000

If you are brand new to programming I would not start with UITableViews. You probably had and idea for an app like I did a couple years ago. If you are totally new to programming like I was then I would start with good old reliable C to understand the basics. I mentioned a week or 2 ago in a similar post that if you get the code to solve this it will work but you wont understand why. This will lead to even bigger problems for you down the road when you try and get the next part of code so solve bigger problems.

So if you are new, start with the basics first.

3. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

On the plus side UITableView is a very common thing to use, and there are a lot of Data Display widgets based on the same knowledge you'll learn about table views.

Which also means that most good training courses/books on OS X or iOS will go over a good deal of how TableView works. So any basic learning you do is all building to what you'd need to get tableview to work.

Edit: so when you say you've just started with xCode does that mean you have prior programming experience?

4. Mvkoe thread starter macrumors member

Mvkoe

Just started xCode with iOS programming. I have some experience in Java, and Web Dev. In that way sorta, I wanted to know if there are some things to compare to java for data, like an multidimensional array or those things, or using an NSDictionary for iOS what that is.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

For now, just concentrate on learning the fundamentals of Objective-C and then iOS Developing. Those things should become clearer once you've gotten past the basics.

6. Mvkoe thread starter macrumors member

Mvkoe

Oke thanks, I'll just start off with Objective-C first then iOS dev