Popup ad on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sue De Nimes, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Sue De Nimes macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

My wife was just browsing a website on her iPad and had a popup appear.

The popup asked if she wanted to download something. It only gave a yes option. She couldn't close Safari without selecting "yes" on the dialog. When she did this it automatically opened up iTunes on the iPad.

I have checked and she already had an option to "block popup ads" selected in her settings on the iPad. The website she was browsing was a reputable one. (www.irishtimes.com)

If this was on a desktop machine my first though would be some form of malware. The iPad isn't jailbroken and is running the latest version of iOS.

Anything I can do to doublecheck things?

2. morium macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem, anyone knows how to solve it?

3. threelions macrumors regular

Did the Website have some dodgy adverts on it? I know I have had a similar problem with a certain website I visit, the website is a well know large MMA site but they have a really bad policy of not policing their own adverts. I now avoid that website on my ipad and have no issues.

4. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

you should always be able to close an app by double tapping the home button and then swiping away the app you want to close

5. rritterson macrumors 6502

Unless this website's ad is exploiting a not-yet-known bug, the iPad will not install any software without a proper code signature issued by Apple, and will not install software from the iTunes store without input of the Apple ID password.

If the ad is somehow breaking through that protection and installing something, it would basically be jailbreaking the OS to do it, and I'm sure the teams that work on jailbreaking the OS would love to hear about it.

I wouldn't worry too much. Worst case scenario is you purchased an app you didn't want to. Apple will issue a refund in that case.

6. Sue De Nimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

It didn't install anything - just opened a page for something in iTunes.

I was just concerned that a dodgy popup had appeared on what I would expect to be a reputable site.