Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In collaboration with Apple, Porsche is adding Apple Podcasts and Apple Music's time-synced lyrics to its all-electric Taycan.

TA21Q2DID0021_02_EN_low.jpeg

Last year, Porsche added Apple Music integration to the Taycan, allowing users to access Apple's music streaming service via the car's infotainment system without a smartphone connection. Now, Porsche is adding Apple Music time-synced lyrics appear on the passenger-side display.

Apple Podcasts is also coming to the Porsche Taycan, with support for Apple's entire catalog of podcasts and Top Charts for shows and episodes.

"A great podcast can make any drive more enjoyable," said Oliver Schusser, Apple's Vice President of Apple Music, Beats, and International Content. "With Apple Podcasts, drivers can effortlessly catch up on the latest news, hear incredible stories and enjoy the company of their favorite hosts. And with Apple Music, passengers can easily sing along to their favorite songs with time-synced Lyrics."

As was the case with Apple Music, Apple Podcasts integration directly in a vehicle is the first of its kind. Porsche has also teased that more Apple features for the Taycan could be arriving in the future.

"The new Apple Music and Apple Podcast offerings expand the emotional driving experience with the Taycan with a seamlessly integrated digital feature for music lovers. There is more to come," said Detlev von Platen, Member of the Executive Board for Sales and Marketing at Porsche AG.

Apple Podcasts and Apple Music's time-synced lyrics are available to new Taycan customers now and the features will roll out to all owners in January 2021.

Article Link: Porsche Taycan Gains Apple Podcasts and Apple Music Time-Synced Lyrics

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Tesla started rolling out Full Self Driving to paying customers ~10 hours ago... should MacRumors run an article on that?

It’s a beta and everyone with it signed an NDA, but there’s a few small clips of it I’ve seen briefly circulate the Internet.

Psychicbob

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2018
Yes officer. I was having a good sign-song and I veered off the road whilst looking at the lyrics. I’m going to sue Apple.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
yep - no way that anyone will ever be effing around with this and driving at the same time, seems totally foolproof & in no way something that could detract from road safety.
If the driver is looking at the passenger-side display, you're right, that could detract from road safety. MR probably should have used a photo that properly displays the display in use. Maybe we wouldn't have so many misdirected comments.
1603367608168.png

Last edited:

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
Sometimes it helps to read the article instead of skimming and commenting.

This is a fair callout to make, but if that photo at the top of the article is any indication of the actual layout of displays in the car, it looks like the “passenger side” display is just on the right side of the middle, still clearly visible by the driver. Unless I’m seeing it wrong, or if the picture is not accurate. Is there another display on the passenger side?

Could be fun for road-trips!

Reactions: hirsthirst

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
If the driver is looking at the passenger-side display, you're right, that could detract from road safety. MR probably should have used a photo that properly displays the display. Maybe we wouldn't have so many misdirected comments.
View attachment 971023

Thanks for this! I was wondering if the other display just wasn’t visible in the photo.

Although, I’d say that if someone’s concern is that a driver would stupidly try to read lyrics off the display, this could still be a problem since it seems pretty visible from the driver side seat.

At any rate, drive safely!

xDKP

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
yep - no way that anyone will ever be effing around with this and driving at the same time, seems totally foolproof & in no way something that could detract from road safety.

Get a grip! There is a LOT of stuff way more likely to take attention from the road, rather than leaning to the passenger side and reading lyrics... A phone inside the cabin is way more likely to be a bad thing

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
UK
I now see the passenger-side photo (that wasn't in the original story) - I don't know whether it makes it better or worse, some dumb-ass somewhere will lean yet further over still ...

There is no way to completely engineer-out human misuse - yes, I know you can shave / smoke / drink coffee / apply lipstick etc already - but that's different to engineering-in additional distractions. Roll-on autonomous vehicles.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
For all the self-righteous responses about the display being on the passenger side, the point is about the driver being tempted to look across whilst joining in the sing-song.
A driver could also be tempted to use a cell phone, turn and look at a passenger while driving, eat while driving, etc. If someone can't manage to drive and avoid staring at a screen in front of a passenger, that person probably should not be driving. Or, the lyrics could be turned off but that might be too radical of a move. Now, if the lyrics were displayed on the center screen or near the speedometer, that could be a problem but they are over directly in front of the passenger on the passenger's screen.

Should Porsche engineer potential distractions into cars? That's a different discussion but is one worth having.

• Disagree
Reactions: erniefairchild1

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Tesla started rolling out Full Self Driving to paying customers ~10 hours ago... should MacRumors run an article on that?

It’s a beta and everyone with it signed an NDA, but there’s a few small clips of it I’ve seen briefly circulate the Internet.
No they shouldn't imo. It has no relevancy to Apple, not even tangentially. I'm sure Electrek has a nice write up though.

Reactions: CarlJ and sinsin07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.