Port 25 blocked? Can't send mail.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pippab, Dec 7, 2008.

1. pippab macrumors newbie

Can someone please help!? We recently moved into a place where I keep getting the error message that the stmp that I am trying to use does not support port 25.

How do I change this? I've done a search and read other people having this problem, but I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Typically the ISPs block use of port 25 to prevent you from sending out mass spam. Sometimes you can find another port, but you'd probably need to talk to the ISP.

3. pippab thread starter macrumors newbie

Mail --what do you use?

I am trying to find another e-mail program since i cannot figure out how to use a different port other than 25 which is blocked for me.

I was considering downloading AOL but have heard all NO's on that one. I really wanted something that would go on the dock so that it would make me aware of when new e-mails came in like the mail program does.

Anyone have any good e-mail programs that are simple to use?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Using another mail program won't resolve your Port 25 issues....

Honestly, it takes about two minutes to solve the Port 25 issue.

Option 1: Use the ISP's SMTP server:

- Look at your bill and figure out who your ISP is.
    - Go to their website and search for "smtp"
    - Open Mail, preferences, accounts, and go to your account and replace the SMTP server with their SMTP server. E.G. my ISP is Comcast cable, their SMTP is smtp.comcast.net, so I put this in the SMTP blank in my settings.
    - Repeat for any other mail accounts.
    - Done.

Option 2: Use an authenticated port on your SMTP server:

- Go to your mail provider and look at their setup instructions.
    - Find the instructions for authenticated SMTP (typically port 587) and make the changes in Mail->Preferences->Accounts.
    - Done.

5. pippab thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is that if I use AOL.com (which is a pain) , I can receive, send, etc. any mail that I want.

When I try to use it through MAIL on my macbook pro, it is blocked. I do not have a bill for my internet service since it is provided by the hotel that I am staying in.

guess I have to contact the hotel front desK?? they say that I have to call their 800 number and they go into my computer virtually and change settings??? Would you trust this?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Of course it works when you use AOL.com ... web browser-based mail doesn't use SMTP. :rolleyes:

Did you read anything in the responses above?

http://mobile.aol.com/aolproducts/mobile-email

Open Mail. Open the Preferences. Go to your AOL account, and change the SMTP settings to match this.