Port forwarding and Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ssampson, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ssampson, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

ssampson macrumors newbie

I have two homes both of which I want to monitor with a Y-cam. (Internet IP camera).
    The first is up and running. The camera talks wirelessly to a Belkin router which is connected to the British Telecom phone line. In order to get this going I had to set up some port forwarding on the Belkin, and set up a DNS service.

The second is more complicated. I share a router connected to a cable with my neighbour. The router is under my neighbours control. I have an iMAC and Apple Airport Express, plus wireless speakers and a printer. Everything is connected wirelesly.

My question is this. Is it possible to configure the Airport Express so that I can add another Y-cam here also without needing to set up port forwarding on the router (which is in the apartment directly below me?) There are many reasons not to want to touch it, not least the owner is happy to give me a password and bandwidth, but not happy for me to start reconfiguring it.

If the answer is 'yes', a few pointers on how to configure it would be useful.

(I have to say I find the Airport Express hard to understand. Although I have the iMac, speakers, printer, Airport Exp. all working I have never understood if the iMAC is still talking directly to the router or if the Airport Exp. is sitting between them as the hub for all devices.)

Thanks in anticipation.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

If I understand your question (not sure that I do) no you have to use port forwarding. If these cams are running over the web then you need to port forward them. Either that or setup some form of internal ad-hoc network to run them over.

3. ssampson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. Perhaps the answer I was expecting but not what I had wanted. I had hoped the Airport Express could present the data stream in a way that required no modification of the router settings. Thanks again.