Port Forwarding and Boosting Transmisson Speeds.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CodeZero, Jan 18, 2010.

1. CodeZero macrumors newbie

CodeZero

Hello all.
    I'm having some trouble setting up portforwarding for use with Transmission. I have a MacBook running OSX 10.5 and an Extreme Base Station. I tried to tweak it here and there, but alas, no luck, my port is still closed and my downloads are still horribly slow. Any and all advice would help greatly. Thank you in advance.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What's your set up? Cable? DSL? Home network? Do you have a cable box or other box in between?

3. mbestel macrumors member

Port forwarding on Airport Extreme

There are several places that you will need to look.

1. The firewall on your Mac. This is accessible through the "Security" preference pane. If your firewall is on, make sure that Transmission is allowed to accept incoming connections. You should be able to do that in the Advanced section.

2. If your Airport Extreme is configured as a router, it should have port forwarding configured for both TCP and UDP connections on the port that transmission is configured, going to your Mac's IP.

3. Your cable/DSL/whatever modem. Make sure that yours is configured to allow traffic on the right ports. There may even be a port-forwarding option in there.

Good luck!

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Along with that idea, if you have DHCP enabled and other networked equipment, make sure that your IP doesn't float - you might have to make it static.

5. CodeZero thread starter macrumors newbie

CodeZero

I have tried all 3, and I've had no luck, the only time that I get reliable and fast download speeds is with private trackers. Unfortunately they don't have the biggest selection around. :(

6. CodeZero thread starter macrumors newbie

CodeZero

Yeah, a modem.

7. CodeZero thread starter macrumors newbie

CodeZero

How, and would that help?

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member