Port Forwarding Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 11201ny, Mar 1, 2014.

1. 11201ny macrumors member

Hey guys, I recently added a managed switch (Netgear GS108Tv2) to my system & I no longer have any open ports for my Bit Torrent file sharing. My system is as follows:

Modem (Motorola SBG6580 Surfboard) in bridge mode
    to
    Airport Extreme
    to
    Netgear GS108Tv2 (managed switch)
    to
    Mac Pro.

In Transmission I have typically been set to Automatically Port Map, as well as Enable Micro Transport Protocol. Below are some of my Airport Util settings. Can anyone help me open and assign port/s?

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. 11201ny, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

11201ny thread starter macrumors member

"The AE will port forward, it is just a little tricky. You need to set your machine to a fixed IP first. You can do this with DHCP reservations. Then forward the port to that specific IP. It will work."

Since I am link aggregating I can't find my mac address.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Look in the DHCP reservation listings on the AE. Since you are assigning a fixed IP, the AE must have a MAC address to assign a fixed IP to. See if that one works. If not, then try the MAC address of the other NIC.

4. 11201ny thread starter macrumors member

The assigned I.p. Is for the switch. The LAG I created is using two different ethernet cards since one of my Mac Pro ports seems to be problematic (it works fine until I create a virtual link aggregate).

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Nevertheless see if you can get the AE to assign a fixed IP to the aggregated MacPro link. As long as the MacPro is making the aggregation, the AE should still see just the one MAC address.

6. 11201ny thread starter macrumors member

That's the question... Where do I find the that MAC address? Not Network>Advanced. I also couldn't find it in the AE Util.

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

It's either of the two NICs that are masked as the single interface. Try one and then the other. It doesn't (at least my Intel card doesn't neither do my NASs) create a new MAC address.

8. 11201ny thread starter macrumors member

Will do, thanks again

9. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Just for interest I'm seeing if I can get my Mac Mini to do LAG, but I can't get started on the linking. Where should I be looking ?

10. 11201ny thread starter macrumors member

You mean where to set up? System prefs>Network>Options>Manage virtual> link aggregate?

11. drsox, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

OK, I found it and I got my MAC address for the aggregated linked NICs. I have an app IP Scanner Pro and that listed both NICs with different IP addresses but with just the one MAC address. Between the Mobo NIC and the TB adaptor NIC the one listed as the LAG MAC was the TB adaptor NIC.

Now I'll see if I can get AE to assign a fixed IP to that MAC.

Cheers

UPDATE :

Yes it worked, I got the new fixed IP and I can connect to the LAG pair using VNC. Now that I know it works I'm going to take it to bits again. Hope it goes OK for you.

12. Alrescha macrumors 68020

In my experience if you have 'Automatically Port Map' set in Transmission and 'Enable NAT port mapping protocol' checked in your Airport Extreme you are ready to go. NAT PMP is there so you do not have to manually open ports or set up static IP addresses.

A.