Port Forwarding On OS 10.5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stephenbesaw, Dec 30, 2007.

1. stephenbesaw macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.
    I recently switched to mac, and i've been having some problems downloading torrents. I'm using Transmission's newest version. A friend of mine recommended port forwarding, he showed me using 10.4, and i'm running 10.5. I looked at other information on port forwarding with 10.5, but the thread quickly fell out of topic, and where talking about dropping the 10.5 firewall and relying on the router's firewall. I'm trying to figure out how it is to port forward with 10.5, any help or information would be greatly thanked.

Stephen.

I am running on a Linksys WRT54G router by the way.

2. toomuchstereo macrumors regular

I am a CCNP, so obviously my expertise is on the routers themselves vice the OS side, but most software firewalls actually turn off ports vice just silencing them fom transmitting. I personally use a hardware router firewall and keep the built in leopard one off. I don't have any trouble downloading torrents. I would give that a shot.

I'm not sure how to do port forwarding in 10.5 so you could dedicate a listen and transmit port for torrent, as long as you have the router set up right, you should be with the OSX firewall off.

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

toomuchstereo is on the mark. If you have a hardware router/firewall (which I hope you have) then you can run with no software firewalls on your machines and control routing and filtering on the single hardware router including port forwarding. Port forwarding is mostly used in the home scenario when NAT or extended filtering is employed. There are a whole lot of reasons to go with a hardware router and considering how cheap they are these days (I glance at my Juniper and cringe as I recall what is cost originally) there is no real reason not to. Some of the preferred brands to use would be the likes of: Netgear, Apple, Belkin. I personally cant speak for Linksys as I have had too many issues with 3 models where the 3 I mentioned above have been trouble free and easy to configure via web gui's or in the case of the Apple routers, software that comes with the Mac. My one and only gripe with the Apple Airport Extreme is the almost inability to completely stealth the router however this is a small point and a lot of security groups dont see a need to stealth a router as part of a security paradigm.

4. lazydesi macrumors 6502

dude,

using terminal

to add a port:
    sudo ipfw add allow [udp or tcp] from [port] to [port]
    So, if you want allow port 80 with tcp you’d type

sudo ipfw add allow tcp from 80 to 80

to see your rules:
    sudo ipfw list

to delete a port

take the number proceeding the rule you want to delete and type sudo ipfw deletem [rule number], so if I wanted to delete the rule “33500 allow tcp from 0.0.0.80 to 0.0.0.80″ I’d just type

sudo ipfw delete 33400

5. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Not exactly port forwarding, is it ;)

6. stephenbesaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for all of the replies.
    But i am new to all of this jazz with software firewalls and hardware firewalls, I seemed to get onto the UNIX firewall settles in system preferences and allowed in transmission, my torrent client.
    But nothing seemed to change.
    If i'm way off the mark please let me know,and see if you can offer some clear instructions on how to do that.
    Thanks!
    Stephen.

7. stephenbesaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Currently i am downloading at 14.8kb/s and at the present looking at 56 days and 17 hours until Aperture is complete : (

8. fjckls macrumors newbie

Check this out dude, http://www.codelaide.com/blog/
    its that software- lighthouse, that does all portforwarding for you, so you dont have to fiddle with router.
    couldnt find it torrents, tho!