Port forwarding - please help (what do I forward!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by juliancs, Apr 9, 2009.

1. juliancs macrumors 6502

Hi folks

I'm aware of portforward.com. However, (I've just moved into a house with some people and this is the setup, so I'm not really sure what is what), The cable that goes into the 'mains'' goes into a little Virgin Media black box, which (I think?) is the modem, and that goes into a Net gear box, which I think is the wireless router. Am I port forwarding the router? Or the little black box? I thought the router simply sends the internet wirelessly?
    I get errors both in windows and in Mac that I'm behind a firewall and torrents (yes, perfectly legal ones), say the same, and so download very slow. I have the firewall off on both sides and have security to ""accept all incoming/outgoing connections""
    I'm very confused as to which one to look up on on portforward.com and would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its nothing to do with the cables or anything like that, and its nothing to do with the internet being forwarded, what model of router do you have? what bit torrent client are you using? and i'll give you a list of instructions you need to do to get it working.