Port forwarding problem - Local IP address keeps changing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bingefeller, Jun 24, 2016.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

I hope this makes sense - sometimes my local host or local IP address changes between 192.168.1.12 - 192.168.1.16 etc.

Every time this changes it messes with my port forwarding settings. Is there any way I can keep the same IP address locally?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

you can do this by "reserving" an IP address in your router settings.

Here is an example : http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25722/~/how-do-i-reserve-an-ip-address-on-my-netgear-router?

If your computer is a desktop computer and stays at home, you can set a static IP address in System Preferences / Network.

If your machine is a laptop, use the IP address reservation in the router.

3. chown33, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

chown33 macrumors 604

It's done with a setting in the router.
    Exactly what make and model of router are you using?

You may also need to change a few settings in the Network pane of System Preferences.
    Which OS version are you using?

If your computer is portable, or can join different networks, I recommend creating a Location in the Network pane that has a static IP address. Use this Location when you're at home. Use the DHCP-based Location configuration when you're not at home.

I named my static-IP location "Home with static IP". For testing and debugging, I have another one named "Home with DHCP".

4. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I didnt give out those details in the first post.

OK I am using 10.10.5 and my modem / router is a Draytek Vigor 2750n. I connect via wifi all the time.

Would these details change any of your help given?

Many thanks.

5. Bruno09, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hello,

you can download the pdf manual here : http://www.manualslib.com/download/40821/Draytek-Vigor-Vigor2750.html

See LAN (Local Area Network) settings starting from page 44.

You need to "bind IP to MAC" = reserve an IP address to your computer (MAC = MAC address, not Mac-intosh).

See the manual pages 54 to 56.

How to do here : http://just.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=5486&Itemid=293&lang=en

The other solution is to create a new "location" on the Mac in System preferences / Network, with a static IP address, as explained by chown33.

6. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Bruno09!

Thanks everyone.