Port Forwarding with Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by illegalprelude, May 23, 2011.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Hi everybody,

If I have a current router with the following port forwarding enabled, how does that translate to the settings on an Airport Extreme? I'm not sure where the numbers from the current router would get plugged into the Airport Extreme's page.

Attached Files:

2. Urusai89 macrumors newbie

Looks like you found the place to plug them in, it's just a little different.

Your first entry would go like this:

548-548 would go into "public TCP ports" and "Private TCP ports"

Fill in the Private IP address, and save.

Click the "+" icon to make a new rule, and do it again with the second entry (427-427).

edit In case you're wondering, the UDP port lines can be ignored, you don't need them.

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Hi Urusai89,

Thank you for that! So expanding on that, the correlation is

Inbound Port = Public TCP
    Private Port = Private TCP

So for example, what would I do in the following scenario as you will note the inbound and private numbers are different.

Would I place 5910 for Public TCP and 5911 for Private TCP? and of course 192.168.2.5 for Private IP?

If all that is correct, do I also need to choose a service from the drop down menu?

4. Urusai89, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011

Urusai89 macrumors newbie

Yes, it seems "Public" is the inbound, and private is your computer. The IP Address is simple enough, it's just the network address of the computer.

I've never actually encountered any port forwarding where the inbound and private ports were different numbers, but the same rules should apply. It seems the only difference is that the Apple router has a different look, and a different name for "Inbound Ports".

edit: Forgot to add the service list bit. The answer is No, you don't have to choose one. Those seem to be pre-made ones. For example, if you select E-mail or something, it may automatically fill in TCP port 21. If it doesn't let you save without choosing one, then choose something, then edit the numbers and save.

From my understanding "Inbound" would open a port on the router itself, since it's the main filter for the internet. From there, the "private port" would be the port it tries to send the information to on the computer or device. If that port happens to be blocked by the computer's firewall, then it won't work.

The private IP is just the network IP that the router uses to tell which computer is yours. I recommend setting up Static IP for doing things like Port Forwarding.