Port Forwarding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jq92buu, Jul 27, 2011.

1. jq92buu macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I'm a new member and i really need some help with Port Forwarding on my Mac Book Pro. I am currently using a Cisco Linksys router.
    Can anyone give me a beginners guide or tutorial or just back and forth through email of some easy way to get this done. Im trying to improve the speed of torrent downloads.

Thank you!

2. simsaladimbamba

Look into your router's manual about port forwarding, as you set it on the router.

3. christeeezy macrumors member

What speed are you getting right now? I'm getting 1.4mB/s constant given that it's a good seed/leech ratio, and I didn't have to set up port forwarding. (Reason I say this is because my Windows PC only got 600kB/s max, but my MBP gets much higher. So maybe Macs somehow torrent more efficiently?)

But here you go, just scroll down and find your router model.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

4. ahdickter macrumors 6502

How fast a torrent downloads is not dependent on OS. It could be wireless adapter, time of day, if your hardwired through Ethernet, if you have caps on one of the computers, etc.

Most likely you can access your router settings by typing "192.168.1.1" into the address bar of your web browser.

What do you need port forwarding for?

5. jq92buu thread starter macrumors newbie

I am trying to improve the speed of torrent downloads through "Vuze". But just so i know that im understanding this correctly; is it my macbook that im doing the configuration to or am i actually messing with the router?

i currently share a wireless connection with my roommate and i dont want to mess anything up for them on their side.

6. negativzero macrumors 6502

you need to configure your router when you port forward, there is nothing to touch when you use your Mac.

as a side note, stay away from Vuze, lots of adware and advertisements, not to mention a memory hog. There are other better, faster, more lightweight clients like Transmission or uTorrent for Mac.

7. jq92buu thread starter macrumors newbie

8. LostParadox macrumors member

Use transmission or Utorrent. Currently with UTorrent i download between 2.1 Mb/s to 7.8 mb/s never really getting below that. i have not setup port forwarding