Port Mapping

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Telp, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

without a router of any kind?
    is your mac connected directly to a modem? If so then the modem will be sending everything through to all ports in any case and it should only be a case of configuring your firewall to allow through the ports that you want open (you'll probably need to set up a custom rule if it's not a standard service port that you can turn on in the Sharing tab) in System Prefs > Sharing > Firewall

3. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

My computer is connected directly to the router, and i have the ports open, but i cant access the computer still, and ive read about port mapping and i dont know? hehe

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

ok - more info required i think.. is it a router/modem or a plain modem? what model is it? and what service are you trying to use?

If you're just trying to share the computer on a network, to make files/folders available to other Macs/PCs then that's not something that requires "port mapping" in the sense of advanced router configuration normally.

5. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Ok its a verizon FiOS modem/router. I am trying to use iphone remote (i did have this in the iphone section but i got no help there) when im not at home, and im not quite sure how to do it.

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

ok, knowing nothing about that particular service or router...

i presume there's a browser admin interface to the router that lets you configure it? and that somewhere in that interface there'll be a section/option for setting up port mapping? (you might need to look up a manual online to find out where this is done, or if it's possible).

Normally you just set a start/end port range and assign an IP address that all requests coming through to that port will get sent to, which in this case will be the IP address for your mac (as found under Sys Prefs > Network > Airport/Ethernet whatever connection you're connected with > TCP/IP

Now if your TCP/IP is set to get an IP address dynamically using DHCP, it gets a little bit more complicated, cos the IP may change evry time you restart and the router will be port mapping still to the original IP..

2 options:
    1. Change the TCP/IP setting from DHCP to Manual (note down the numbers it had in the various settings first, and then enter those numbers into the boxes). This will make sure that that computer always has the same IP address. Use that same Ip address in the Port mapping config on the router.

2. Wireless connections to some routers are only allowed to use DHCP, so you have to be a bit more cunning. If the router has port mapping, it probably has Address Reservation (or something similarly named) also. Leave the Network settings on the Mac as DHCP but set Adress Reservation on the router so that it always gives the Mac the same IP adress every time it asks for one.

Make sure the Firewall on the Mac is set to allow that port through.

Make sure the Mac isn't going to go to sleep when you're out and trying to connect to it.

Clear as mud?

7. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

haha yes, about clear as mud. I get what your så¥ing i just cant find that setting. I guess the best thing would be to look online. Thanks for that, ill get back to you if it works.

8. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

ok so now i have looked online for a manual and have not found anything. If anyone who has verizon FiOS and has done this and can tell me how it would be much apreciated.

Telp

9. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

If you have the Actiontec router, here's how to set it up (Step by step as I know people who know more about computers then me get confused by the Actiontec router's layout):

1. go to: 192.168.1.1 in safari. default user/pass are admin/password
    2. Click "Firewall Settings" on the top
    3. Click "Port Forwarding" on the left
    4. Hit "Yes" to continue
    5. Hit "Add"
    6. Under "Specify Address, select your Mac's hostname

If iPhone Remote is VNC renamed (I dont have an iPhone, and a quick Google search didnt answer my question so I'm not sure, but i suspect it is..),
    7. Hit "Specify Protocol" and then "Show All Services" and scroll down to VNC
    8. Hit "Apply" three times

If iPhone Remote isnt VNC:
    7. Under "Protocol", hit "Add"
    8. Name it "iPhone Remote" or whatever you want.
    9. Hit "Add Server Ports"
    10. Change Protocol to TCP
    11. Change "Destination Ports" to "Single" and add the port used by iPhone Remote to the box next to it
    12. Hit "Apply" three times

If you have the D-Link router and not the Actiontec, you're out of luck - my D-Link broke down and Verizon replaced it with the Actiontec instead :p

Oh, and dont forget to allow the connections to be made using those ports in OS X's firewall if you have it enabled as well (System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall, If it's VNC, then just check "Apple Remote Desktop" otherwise create a new rule for the firewall .. "New.." > Other > TCP Port only) :)

10. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

This was amazing help, and tihs is going to sound really stupid, but, whats my macs hostname?

11. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

System Preferences > Sharing > "Computer Name: " = Hostname on the network.

12. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Ok, well i did everything exactly the way you told me, and i am still unable to access over EDGE...What might i have done wrong?

13. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

It looks like iPhone Remote is a modified version of TightVNC so..

Be sure you enabled Remote Desktop on your mac as that's kinda necessary for iPhone remote to work as well:rolleyes: To do that, System Preferences > Sharing > Apple Remote Desktop. Hit 'Start', check the box next to your username, Allow the user to control the computer fully (Check all the boxes), and add a password to connect.

Check to see if the port's open - https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2. Port 5900 is the one in question.

14. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Thanks for all your help. I did get it working, roughly following your instructions. I would have never figured out where to even go without you so thank you so much, and im extremely excited that i got this working!

Telp