port replicator or dock for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fjs08, Dec 29, 2011.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Does anyone make a port replicator or dock for MBP??
    I have 5 things plugged into my MBP. It sure would be nice to have only one thing to unplug.
    Thx.
    Frank

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There aren't any good docking stations for Mac portables.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Two things I don't understand about Apple.
    Why are there no port replicators or docks, and why the wireless keyboard doesn't come with a numeric keypad???
    The later may have changed since I haven't checked in awhile <g>.
    Frank

4. SithTracy macrumors newbie

SithTracy

I know I would like a wireless (bluetooth -- no dongle) keyboard with a numeric pad for @ home use. I would not travel with it. I know Logitech makes a wireless but it requires the use of a USB port. I guess that is okay @ home and with a hub, but adds wire clutter to the desk. I guess one could argue that the 27" Thunderbolt display could serve as a docking station, but ehhhh. Not what I want or need.

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hengedocks look pretty neat.
    I have a 2006 model. I'll have to do some research on it or contact them about it.
    Thx.
    Frank

7. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

ok why would u want a DOCK for a cOMPUTER?

and i doubt anyone would make one for a 2006 out of date machine

8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>ok why would u want a DOCK for a cOMPUTER? <<

It's a notebook that I like to take around the house to use, out of the house to use, etc... and I'm tired of unplugging and replugging all the cables back into it when I bring it into my office at home.

>>and i doubt anyone would make one for a 2006 out of date machine<<

2006, yes... out of date... hardly!! It's a Mac...com'on!!!

Frank

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Could you clarify why? How long have you had the Henge Dock? Have you had any of the reported issues with the connectors, scratching, etc?

Why would you assume that your preference is universal? There are plenty of people that want docks for various reasons. If you don't then don't click on threads about docks and threadcrap.

10. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>threadcrap<<

That's funny... I like it!!...never heard that before.

Had a dock at home way back in my ThinkPad days. LOVED it. just popped it in and out and away I go. have one now for my PC that I HAVE to use at the office.
    VERY convenient.
    Frank

11. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

no it jsut doesnt make sense to make a whole DOCK for a computer. why do u think there ARENT any and NOT popular

i think someone needs a spanking

12. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>there ARENT any and NOT popular<<

Not so sure they aren't popular.
    Seems to be a pretty big thing in the PC world.

Here's a page with a bunch of them for Thinkpads alone.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/accessories/dock-port-replicators

For me, now it is a convenience issue... and in the old days before USB, etc, there was a concern that you'd break a pin on a connector and then you were out of luck. Now with better connectors, that issue is pretty much solved.
    I liked it in that all I had to do is literally snap the computer in to a plug and my external power, keyboard, mouse, etc are already to go. Of course with wireless and bluetooth, you need fewer actual connections for a mouse, keyboard, printers, etc.
    Still a nice option whose time may be slipping, but still needed and used by lots of folks.

Frank

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Docks would be nice. Someone could clear up if they produce a reasonably priced one that uses Thunderbolt.

Lenovo have it right. We use their laptops and docks extensively at work.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

Ever been in a large business that lends portables to their employees? Guess what, they all use docks so that they can get their employees a real mouse, a real keyboard and a real screen to work with when they are at their desk. Docks are both very useful and very popular especially in large businesses, just because you don't see a use for one doesn't mean everybody thinks that way. If anything, you're the one that needs a good spanking, to the back of the head.

OP, honestly, there aren't too many docks that do a good job for a Mac in my opinion, they were not designed for a dock in the first place so that doesn't help. The newer unibody Macs are probably better at it since their ports are all on the same side.

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

They do sell docking stations now. They are called Thunderbolt displays and cost $999, and are only compatible with 2011 and newer MBPs.

Why did Apple not sell docks in the past?
    It's hard to tell, but looking at the history might help. In the mid 90s, the company was close to bankruptcy. Part of what saved it was rigorously cutting down the number of products in development to those products that were profitable or at least looked promising for the future. A dock probably didn't fall into that category. The simple and condensed product lines is part of the reason why Apple is much more profitable than most other PC manufacturers.

16. Mojo1, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Apple did sell a dock back in the 1990s: it was the PowerBook Duo line of portable Macs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_Duo

I am also interested in reading about why mgartner0622 prefers the Hengedocks over the Bookendzdocks. I've done a fair amount of reading of pro and user reviews of various Mac-compatible docks. Hengedocks are a lot less expensive than Bookends but people complain about various Hengedocks issues vs. no complaints for Bookendz. The biggest difference that I noticed is that Bookendz docks are made of metal and have an ingenious method for lining-up the ports. Hengedocks are made primarily of plastic and some users have problems with the ports not lining-up and cables coming loose easily.

The other major difference is that the Hengedock is vertical while the Bookendz dock is horizontal, which takes up more room on a desk.

Use Google to search for dock reviews; the user reviews at Amazon and other online retailers are also good for finding out how well a dock functions in the real world.

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes indeed, thanks. That was before Jobs came back and slashed the number of projects in development from ~50 to ~10.

18. defsquad macrumors regular

happen to have any further opinions of that hengedock? how long have you owned it? i've seen where folks like it when they first get it, but it's capabilities degrade after extended use (e.g. constant docking/undocking, the cable plug inserts installation tolerances aren't perfect it seems).

thanks for any updates you may have.

19. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

The former would suit my current needs very well (since I still need to use the MBP screen/keyboard, but connect to an external monitor). Shame it's $300!

The latter would be awesome for an HTPC setup. Keep a wireless keyboard/touchpad on the coffee table, dock the computer with HDMI into the big-screen, and voila!

20. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I've owned one since 2009. It's been great connectivity wise, although with my 27" Cinema Display I find I'm using it less and less, however it's still nice to have to keep the unit propped upright. Regarding how it stands up to use, I have not had any problems. I probably dock and undock my machine 4-5x a week.

21. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

Thanks for the review. I might get one to use as an HTPC type setup like I mentioned.