Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carrollf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Ireland
Looking to get my first MacBook PRO and cant decide between 15" and 17" models. I like the higher resolution of the 17" but am concerned that it will be more awkward and heavy to bring around with me. Can anyone who has had both let me know if this is the case or is it barely noticable? Do the extra features of the 17" make its extra bulk workthwhile? I travel a bit (once a month through airports) so this is an important factor for me.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Some on here will say that even the 15" isn't portable enough. After owning a 17" Apple for five years now, I can't even justify the 13" portability, the screen size is just too addicting.

sex instructor

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
for me the 17 seemed just a tad cumbersome, so I went with the 15 and it's just great. The pic size and quality is just right.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
I also chose the 15-inch for the larger screen yet overall more portable than the 17-inch MBP. It's a combination of size and weight really.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
The 17" is huge and I wouldn't want to carry it around all day. It's very thin and reasonably light for what it is, but the form factor is too large.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
In terms of physical dimensions, the 17" isn't really that much bigger than the 15", but long ago when I had to make the decision I decided that the 17" was just a little too large and awkward to carry around with me, so I went for the 15".

ashinyjade

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2009
U.S.
The 15 Inch is perfect for me anyways, the 17 Inch does have it's nice touches if you usually watch a movie or do some graphic intense work when you're traveling.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
The 17 is just a little bigger than the 15"
If you want small go for the 13", if you want the 15, go for the 17"

midgetsanchez

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I agree. I was also in the same situation, and almost made the mistake of getting the 15". The 17" feels great and has no issues when it comes to portability, and was definitely worth it.

Bazzy

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Hi,

I've only had my new 17" UMBP a couple of days & am already use to the size - it really does not feel that much bigger when in use - hardly notice any difference tbh. The screen is insanely good but the text is quite small which I did not allow for! I find it too small really but apparently one cannot do anything about it without compromising quality which kind of defeats the purpose of having a superior screen!

Bazzy!

Snowbound

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
I find a noticeable difference between the size of the 15" and 17"; If you're going to be carrying this around daily, I recommend the 15. Friends who have the 17" end up carrying around a bag that is far, far bigger than necessary for my 15, and the 15" screen is plenty big enough for a laptop.

1ne

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Canada Oil Country
I got the 15" and regretted it so much and return it for a 17". Apple was nice enough not to charge me restocking fees.

17" is well worth it. The res. on the screen is sweet!!! Unless you are 100 pounds you will not noticed it at all.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
I got the 17" and couldn't be happier. I was originally going to get the 15" when I was comparing the two side by side in the Apple store, because it seemed so much lighter, but in reality, the 17" is still really practical, and the far higher resolution is a great bonus.

17" all the way!

midgetsanchez

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Go with the 17" and you won't regret it. Like I said, I was EXTREMELY close to getting the 15", but ended up cancelling my ordering and going with the 17" and couldn't be happier.

I was in the exact same situation as you but luckily was convinced to get the 17". These threads should help you in your decision as much as they helped me.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/724133/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/715590/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/717785/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/732711/

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Well, coming home from the store and carrying 24 beer, I did think my 17 was too heavy. So I stopped and had a few beer and set off minus 2 bottles :)

But seriously, it's all the extra crap I carry around in my case (iPod touch/charger, cell phone/charger, camera/charger, e-book reader/charger)that add up. The 17 by itself is 0.3 lbs less than my 15.6 inch HP

Tom

(the beer story is true; after 2 beer, I called my girlfriend to pick me up because of laziness)

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
I'm actually moving in the reverse direction - I've used a 15" MBP at work for several years for portable sysadmin and video editing, however, since my carpal has taken a turn for the worse I'm finding I can't carry around the 15" MBP as readily as I once could.

So, I recently bought a Dell Mini 9 and hacked it with OS X (I don't need a Core Duo to run Terminal) for portable sysadmin and taking to conferences and such. That way I only use the MBP for actual video editing on the road instead of my default work portable.

All that noted, I'm actually considering a 17" MBP as a replacement for my home iMac at some point next year - same screen size as I'm currently used to, and I have an ergonomic desk setup that would accommodate it nicely. Plus, I could take it mobile (even if it's just around the house) much more easily than an iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.