Portability of 2017 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewtm, Sep 19, 2017.

1. andrewtm macrumors regular

I've been trying to decide on a MacBook Pro for months now. Yes months. I came from a 13" mid-2009.

I originally bought the 13" in July and then decided that I wanted to try the 15". I loved the 15" and the screen size, but the footprint seemed too big and awkward. I returned it for a 13" with 16GB RAM, and now I'm debating on going back to the 15".

The 15" seems big, but it overall seems like a much better computer. The hardest thing about this decision is that it's really difficult for me to justify paying $2000 for a 13" when the 15" is only $250 more (with student discount), and assuming this will be my last student discount I kind of want to take advantage of that.

The difficulty is that I graduate next semester and I don't know what I'll be doing in the next few years, so I'm not sure what to buy this computer for. This will most likely be my main computer. I know for a fact that I'll be watching movies and shows with it. I also typically use my laptop in bed.

Any help or advice would be great. Tomorrow's the last last day to return before I'm locked in.

Basically I want to know: Is the portability THAT bad to a point where I wouldn't pay $250 to upgrade to a much better overall machine?

2. leman macrumors G3

The touchbar machines? I find them very portable. In fact, it might be the most portable computer given the power it packs on the market. All the comparable laptops are around 250-300g more. Of course, the 13" is more portable :) Still, I carry my 15" around everywhere and it fits in a laptop designed to hold a 13" computer.

3. Frankfurt macrumors 6502

Frankfurt

I moved from a 2008 MacBook 13" to the 15" 2017 MacBook Pro. They have the same weight and the overall footprint is way smaller than the 2015 15". I would have never bought a previous 15" but the latest iteration of the 15" MBP is actually quite small.

4. Abaganov, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

Abaganov macrumors 6502

How much portability do you really need? and how bad do you need that you are willing to sacrifice CPU/GPU power and screen size?
    does 1 pound really makes a big difference when you carry the laptop in your backpack?

13 is a fantastic laptop but when I put it next to the 15" it looks like a toy , on the other hand the 15" makes me feel that this is a laptop to get stuff done , will the 15" be less comfortable laying on the bed, on airplanes, etc? sure, but for that you can just get iPad.

Like you said the price difference is very small and for that little extra you going to get a much more powerful machine

5. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

The 15" 2016/2017 MBP is lighter than 2009's 13" MBP. It's very light and portable, and such an amazing laptop.

6. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I carry a 2016 15” MacBook Pro daily with no issues. I did have a 13” of the same year and found it too small for my usage

7. kindaichi81 macrumors member

if this is ur only machine and you care more about screen size and power. go for 15-inch.

Otherwise, 13-inch is a good portable and capable machine for most ppl also. Yes, if you did upgrade the ram etc for 13-inch, the price is indeed very close to the base model of the 15-inch but do note that the storage size is not the same. So you still need to pay a bit more than what mentioned for the same storage size of macbook for 15inch.

The 2017 15-inch is indeed smaller in terms of footprint as well as weight. It is now 1.8kg instead of 2kg. I once got the 2015 15-inch, and I sold it off after merely 6 months of usage as it is too bulky to bring around. 2017-inch with the 200g lesser, it will be more manageable for sure. but it is still quite a bit heavy. But if you really like bigger screen, the 15-inch indeed gives a better viewing experience than the 13-inch.

Personally I prefer 13-inch for the portability that I can bring overseas even without any burden. it is indeed smaller in screen size but if I really need big screen when I am at home or office, I would probably buy a 27-inch iMac or attach to an external monitor or TV for that reason.

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Portability is not an issue at all. I never got nor will get when people say it's even anything to consider.

I carry my 2017 15-Inch Monday - Friday since I got it and it feels the same as when I had my 13-Inch last year.

If you just want to the lightest then sure, get another device.