Portability of a 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Granny-Smith, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Granny-Smith macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    New student this coming fall and am absolutely 100% confused about whether I want to go big with the MBP 15" and get the screen I like and a blazing fast processor or get a 13" variant (MBP or MBA) on the basis of improved portability.

Do owners of the 15" find it or would find it cumbersome to carry it around everywhere you go (and as a corollary, do 13" owners find it all that much easier). I currently own a 11.6" gateway that I can literally throw around - it fits practically everywhere but on the downside has a 1.3GHz single core processor.

Price is not really a concern here. I want a computer I will be happy working with many hours of the day.

Thanks for your help

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I carry my 15" mbp around with me all day at college. I've found it has more to do with having a comfortable backpack rather than the difference in weight between the 15" and 13"

3. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

I have it on me every day in the subway. I dont find it cumbersome at all. I think I would hate the miniature screen of a 13" though.

Gotta love free wifi in the Danish subway trains :p

4. killjoys macrumors member

I think depends on what you feel comfortable with. Some feel the 15" adds that much weight but others find the 13" just a tad small.

I carry the 15" around college and obviously to and and from home and I personally find the 15" is not heavy nor cumbersome at all.

5. NikFinn, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Faced this same dilemma more than once. Both times I bought 13" MBPs and I haven't been disappointed either time. If I wasn't a student and didn't mine with me nearly everywhere I go, I would consider the 15", but bringing it everywhere always leads me to the 13". It's just the right size for me.

Edit. Just want to point out that I use my 13" plugged into a 22" Monitor at my desk in my dorm. If I couldn't have the monitor, I'd probably be more inclined to go with the 15", but the 13" with the monitor is the best of both worlds for me.

6. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I went from a 13" to a 15" MBP and I got used to it really quick. I think its the perfect size.

7. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I had a 13" for three years, even had an M11x. The 15" MBP is light and thin for it's class and although a larger footprint, I don't feel it's too cumbersome. I don't think you'd want to throw it around lol but it hasn't been a big change at all. I guess I am a bit more worried about it since it was nearly twice the price of a 13" but in other regards of portability it's been great. No regrets on the portability aspect of going from 13" to 15".

8. 87am macrumors regular

Same here. Its bigger, yes. But its not like the difference is not going to say make or break your ability to fit a notebook on the desk next to it.

9. Blipp macrumors 6502

I carry my 17" around all day without any issues with it's size. Sure it's heavier than the 15" but it's only an additional pound which isn't going to break my back.

10. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

For anyone interested in mobility... 13" is a no-brainer. Day after day of lugging this thing around you will appreciate the form factor and be glad you chose it. I have failing eyesight and find the 13" display to be just fine.

As already mentioned, take the saved money and get an external monitor when you're desk bound.

11. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

It's also good to know what you'll be using it for. What are you planning on majoring in? I know for me, I dread editing photos or programming in Java on the MBP, just because I'm so use to the space the external monitor gives me. But if you're just on facebook/reddit while your in class, I feel like the extra screen real estate isn't entirely necessary.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm a student in mechanical engineering and I lug my 15'' around all day long without issue.

13. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a 15 and it really isn't "portable" the way the 13 is. Just carrying it in your arms is cumbersome - a backpack is definitely required.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

Nonsense, you either have very small arms or don't know how to carry a laptop.

15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I definitely prefer my old 13" for portability's sake. But the 15" isn't a deal breaker or anything, and the performance benefits over the 13" make it a more than fair compromise.

16. scott.n macrumors 6502

I would say it depends on what you mean by "portability". The size and weight of the 15" MBP shouldn't prevent you from carrying it around in a bag or backpack, but its size when opened could cause some difficulty if you intend to use it on your lap while riding the train or bus, or if you intend to use it on your desk during classes.

One other consideration might be startup and shutdown times. With a HDD you should really shut the MBP down before moving it. The MBA and its SSD would be far less frustrating in this respect.

17. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've actually got very large arms considering I'm 6'6... The 15" just doesn't travel well... It always feels like I'm about to drop it because you have to hold it under your arm - it is too heavy to hold in one hand for any length of time.

18. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I had a 15" and loved it but carrying it around everyday just got to be a hassle. It is light and thin for a 15" but still more cumbersome after a while. I sold it and went to a 13" air. With the higher resolution of the air I preferred it over the MBP. I have a 13" MBP at home as well but for work and class I take the air with me anywhere and it handles everything I throw at it.

19. 1quick1 macrumors member

For the last 5 years I've had a 12'' PowerBook G4, a 13'' Dell XPS, then the 2011 13'' MBP. I exchanged the 13'' for the 15'' for the better specs and more screen space. So I'm a huge fan of the 13'' size. The 15'' is definitely noticeably bigger and heavier but after a couple weeks I'm use to it and love it. I don't have an issue carrying it around.

20. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Go play with a 17" Macbook Pro then come back and tell us how the 15" is 'big'!

The 15" is just big enough!
    The 17" is more than big enough!
    The 13" is almost big enough!

I found the 13" not all that portable, well it's not as portable as my iPad.

I found the 15" to be much more portable than the 17"

I found the 13" to be too small to be used for extended work sessions.

I found the 15" to be just the right happy medium of them all.

21. Shambles macrumors regular

I was going to get the 15 incher but I decided in the end to get the 13" MacBook Pro. The screen size surprised me as I was expecting it to be a lot smaller. You wouldn't believe I've made a whole magazine for my Media project using it. Oh and it's a perfect size for slinging in my backpack for school. :)

22. harcosparky macrumors 68020

People who own the 13" will tell you it's the next best thing since sliced bread.
    People who own the 15" will tell you it's the next best thing since sliced bread.
    People who own the 17" will tell you it's the next best thing since sliced bread.
    People who own the iPad will tell you it's the next best thing since sliced bread.

The person you want to talk to is someone who has owned all of the above at one time or another and find out their thoughts.

Honestly at one time or another I have owned all three and getting ready to buy another. I will be getting the 17" unit, yeah it is the BIG ONE but it will be replacing a four year old iMac. I am 3-4 weeks from purchase hoping for an iMac refresh! :lol:

23. MacCrackAddict, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

MacCrackAddict macrumors member

i carry around a 13" everyday at uni and it's perfect in terms of portability and everything i can throw at it. having said that, i know a few people with 15" and really it's not cumbersome at all, if price isnt an issue get the 15". If nothing else, you get a quad-core i5!!! over a dual-core. the pro's of a 15" outweigh the negatives. if it's portability only or as the biggest issue, definately get 13"

having said that, if you want a portable laptop, the 13" is clearly more portable, and if price is not an issue, why dont you get a 13" with 21" cinema display for when you arent on the go? you get a big screen for when you arent on the go plus your portability! all for about £/$250 more than a baseline 15"?

24. HighEndMac macrumors regular

For real, free WiFi in the subway??? F * ck NYC!!

25. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I just got my 15" yesterday and I have taken it everywhere from Starbucks, home office (obviously), actual office, car, back of my motorcycle, friends place, etc. Very portable, love it wouldn't go any smaller or bigger!