Portable audio recording device?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by AzMacNoob, Jul 3, 2007.

1. AzMacNoob macrumors newbie

What is a good handheld device that can load recorded audio into my MacBook.

Years ago I had a system for recording presentations or speeches in conferences and then loading them onto my mac and then again onto my iPod. What are good products and software to accomplish the same thing nowadays? I did it about 6 years ago, I am wondering how much the products and software have changed.

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

THAT will do ya....

3. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

I second that recommendation of that Zoom thing. It's on my wish list...

4. wngraham macrumors regular

As with anything, your budget plays a big part. I'd recommend the Edirol R09 if you're willing to spend in the $300 - $400 range. The internal mics (which I assume you'll be using) are far superior to both the Zoom H4 and M-Audio Microtrack. It also records to SD Card media, cheaper than the CF cards used by the other two.

5. bgalizio macrumors member

Go to taperssection.com and read, read, read. I like the R-09 better than the Zoom, but that's just my preference.

You can get a good starter set-up for pretty cheap these days, including some higher quality mics (compared to the internals).

6. wngraham macrumors regular

Imagine seeing you here ;)

(I'm Nick Graham on ts.com)

7. bgalizio macrumors member

:D

8. Bitjockey macrumors newbie

Bitjockey

I've been using the Marantz PMD 660 and it's produced some excellent music recordings and been a real workhorse for me. It uses the larger CF memory cards which I prefer because my digital camera uses them too so I only have to carry one type of card. I also only need to have one firewire dongle to get both sound and pix into the computer too. None of the portable recorders I've seen have great battery life though. Like the H4, I only get about 4 hours on the Marantz and it uses 2 more AA cells than the H4! (could be the smaller memory cards use less power to read and write).

9. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

The H4 uses SD storage.

10. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I use a Sony minidisc MZ-RH1 with an external mic, for recording band rehearsal.

11. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Another suggestion here for the M-Audio microtrack, I've had lots of people recommend that device.

12. Rollershapple macrumors regular

The micro-track is really good for the money.